Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Okay I created a watermark in Photoshop, transparent background and its just text with a drop shadow. I've flattened the image and modified the exporting of images at 640x480 to include said watermark.

When they come out the Watermark is in a white box which was the transparent background in Photoshop like in the image shown.

I might not want the white box in the future and I can't seem to be able to remove it. Sure a white box for my watermark is okay, but curiosity is causing me to post this, at least I know how to remove it if somebody points to my error.

Thanks.

P.S. the original PSD file was also 640x480 and the font size is 72dpi.

Attachments

• Free Running - Version 2 (4).jpg
    Free Running - Version 2 (4).jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 110

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Don't flatten - use "merge visible". And of course be sure you're exporting it in a format (e.g. PNG) that can handle transparency.

Of course since the watermark is not a stand-alone product, so to speak, you can also just save it in Photoshop's .psd form.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Sure, but I'll check out the link first so I don't waste people's time.

EDIT: Here is the file. The link above is about how to create a Watermark, not how to remove the white box from Aperture once transferred over.

Attachments

• Watermark.psd
    212.4 KB · Views: 75

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
These were created in your pixel size and font point of 72. I saved them as seperate docs instead of exporting them. I just used drag and drop to place them on your photo. The two at the top are .png files and the lower one is a .tiff.

I edited it to include the watermark you just posted. I know it's drag and drop in PhotoShop and I think you are working with Aperture.

Dale

Attachments

• WM_Test copy.jpg
    WM_Test copy.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 67

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Okay I see a problem here, I didn't establish clearly from the beginning that I had wanted to include this Watermark in the exporting of images out from Aperture.

So yes, I am working on Aperture 3, why does Aperture include the white box. Tutorials online on youtube that I've followed don't have them. :-(

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Silly question here... and sorry if this is completely silly...

Is the image you have set in Aperture to use as the watermark a .png (or transparency handling image)? I also believe there's a setting for opacity in Aperture for a watermark image that has transparency.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Okay, I didn't have the same problem when I started from your .psd file (thanks for posting that btw). It's not a great image, and it's not a good match for that particular watermark, but that's beside the point.

crackedbutter_test.jpg

Here's the steps I followed.

1. I loaded your PSD into Photoshop to verify that it indeed had a transparent background (which it does)
  2. I used "Save as..." to save a copy of your watermark as a PNG with a transparent background
  3. In Aperture I selected "Export -> Version"
  4. From the list of presets I selected "Edit..."
  5. I created a new export preset using that new PNG as a watermark (at 100% opacity)
  6. There is no step 6

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
YES!

Thank, you now it all works out fine. I realised my error, I was saving the watermark over the top of the jpeg even though the watermark is a png. I take it there are no transparency with jpgs?

Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• Free Running.png
    Free Running.png
    438.9 KB · Views: 87

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Thank, you now it all works out fine. I realised my error, I was saving the watermark over the top of the jpeg even though the watermark is a png. I take it there are no transparency with jpgs?

Yup, JPEG doesn't allow for transparency. And GIF only has one level of transparency - either fully transparent or not at all. PNG allows for 256 (?) levels of transparency/opacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.