Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I've given the forum a good look for watermarking posts, and have had trouble finding the relevant info:

Is there a way to create watermarks using Aperture 2.1 (and ONLY Aperture, not in conjunction with Photoshop, etc). I heard that you're able to add watermarks on export, but I can't figure out how this is done.

Thanks in advance.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You need to create an image that will be added as the watermark. If you don't want it to see the image through the watermark then you'll need the watermark image to have a transparent background.

Once you have your image you can set it to be used as a watermark via the export presets (Aperture->Presets->Image Export).

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
You need to create an image that will be added as the watermark. If you don't want it to see the image through the watermark then you'll need the watermark image to have a transparent background.

Once you have your image you can set it to be used as a watermark via the export presets (Aperture->Presets->Image Export).

What would you suggest to be the best way to create an image that will be used as a watermark?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
OK, I tried using the Aperture watermarking feature and it's always way too small. Can it not scale up the provided image? (i.e. should the provided image be massive so to allow Ap. to downscale?)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
OK, I tried using the Aperture watermarking feature and it's always way too small. Can it not scale up the provided image? (i.e. should the provided image be massive so to allow Ap. to downscale?)

No, Aperture will not enlarge your watermark image. I think it's best to pre-scale your watermark image to the correct width in pixels, rather than having Aperture scale down a large image. For example, if you know that you intend to post photos online and decide that you are comfortable with an 800-pixel width, then make your watermark accordingly (maybe 150 pixels in width), and create a custom Export Preset in Aperture for the 800-pixel width, setting it to use the specially scaled watermark image. If you have needs for watermarked photos at other sizes, then create separate watermark images for each of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.