Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Do any of your guys watermark your photos? If so what program do you use, and can any of them track an offender?

Thanks,
Chris

talkshowhost

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2004
:D Hi from a long-time lurker!

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. Is there a way to add a watermark using iPhoto or Keynote/Appleworks? ie only basic applications. Or would you suggest trying iWatermark? Personally, I use Photoshop CS, but my friend only has the basic app's on her iMac.

Thanks in advance! :)

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
:D Hi from a long-time lurker!

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. Is there a way to add a watermark using iPhoto or Keynote/Appleworks? ie only basic applications. Or would you suggest trying iWatermark? Personally, I use Photoshop CS, but my friend only has the basic app's on her iMac.

Thanks in advance! :)

I havent tried but if you could change the opacity of a color and type over the picture in keynote (i dont know if you could do this) it would give you some sort of water mark

talkshowhost

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2004
Thanks for your reply. I think she'll try it using Appleworks Drawing. She doesn't need it for all of her photos, just some, so I think that'll do for now.

Thanks again for your feedback. Too bad iPhoto wasn't more versatile/sophisticated sometimes.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
Aperture

I used Photoshop to create a watermark and then imported it into Aperture. Aperture can add the watermark to photos as it exports them.
I don't know of any basic apps. that can do this.
I have never tried iWatermark sounds like it could be worth a try

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I just type in text in photoshop for my watermarks.

One thing that bugs me though, is I'm trying to set a site featuring my photography, but I can't figure out how to get a decent watermark that would display on photos in the online gallery BUT NOT on prints that my would-be customers would order off the site. FYI- I'm using the Gallery 2 software, and it's strange how they don't have a more sophisticated watermarking tool or plugin.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Do any of your guys watermark your photos? If so what program do you use, and can any of them track an offender?

Thanks,
Chris

[warning- US-centric content]

IANAL, but IMNSHO registering the photos (generally as a collection on CD or DVD) with the US Copyright office is more important than a watermark. Having the photos registered (and you can do it for previously "published" works as well as unpublished ones, but unpublished is better) will make it easier for you to recover statutory damages, not just losses should an image be misused. Statutory damages can go up to six figures.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

One thing that bugs me though, is I'm trying to set a site featuring my photography, but I can't figure out how to get a decent watermark that would display on photos in the online gallery BUT NOT on prints that my would-be customers would order off the site. FYI- I'm using the Gallery 2 software, and it's strange how they don't have a more sophisticated watermarking tool or plugin.

Put the test on a layer on Photoshop. You can then later either turn of off or on or change the opacity.

The other option of course is to only watermark the photo after it is been downsized for the web

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003

Smugmug can do this (automatically apply a watermark to displayed images but ordered prints are unaltered) if you're willing to pony up $150 a year. Depending on your expected print volume this actually might not be so bad since with Smugmug, you set the price and keep 85% of the profit, while they handle the order fulfillment and returns. I highly recommend Smugmug and their suite of services for the professional photographer.

krissears

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009

Thanks,
Chris

hey ijust want to help its really no problem although im not really interested to apply it on my pictures i cam across a site for it by i forgot.. what im saying is you can ind it if you just search for it..
photocamel2.gif
i read the guidelines about hoe to do it ad ts easy there are no particular expensive stuff or program requirements because you can create onl\e online for free..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.