Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Hi

Can anyone recommend the best of the current bunch value wise of waterproof compact cameras. Going snorkelling with my son soon and want something water and sand proof!

There are quite a few around but want something that plays nice with iPhoto and iMove for video. Was considering the Pentax Optio W90.

Cheers
Craig

Milessio

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Waterproof housing?

Have you considered a waterproof housing? The flexible ones made by Aquapac (as sold in Cotswold Outdoor) have a depth rating of 5m minimum, and some have a rigid lens tube.

You will be able to use the housing with the camera you have now, and also with the replacement ones you will get in the future.

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I use a Sealife for scuba diving, actually I just upgraded to the DC1200.
Very easy to use and takes great photos. This is 12 MP point and shoot inside a very nice housing. I highly recommend scubatoys.com, ask for a discount.;)

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Recently I posted the same question here on the forums, wondering which waterproof P&S was the best. My main issue was that I wanted a camera that performed well out of the water too. From all the reviews I read, picture quality isn't that great with the current waterproof cameras. In the end, I decided to spend the extra money and get a Canon S90 with a waterproof housing. Now I have a fantastic P&S that shoots equally well in and out of the water, with a nice, rugged housing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.