Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I'm looking for a waterproof camera to take on family trips. We currently have a 8mp camera that we are happy with but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a camera that would stand up to a typical day at the beach or the waterpark (no deep sea diving) and still deliver great shots with the normal features. thanks

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
I own the runner up in that test, the Pentax W60. It takes decent shots and is pretty tough. I like owning gear I don't have to worry about. It's cheap and easily pocketable. You can also see it's successor the W80 in that test group which strangely scored lower than the W60. An even newer model was just anounced this week the Pentax W90. Claims to be even tough with rubberized edges. And it has some sort of microscope mode with the aid of 3 LEDs mounted around the lens barrel although that sounds like a gimick. Should take decent macro shots though.
If you want something that's easy to hold with big buttons though I would get the Canon. It would also work better in the snow because of the bigger buttons you wouldn't have to take your gloves off. If the family ever goes skiing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.