Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I do a lot of photography on or around the water, but don't really want to spend $3000 on an Ikelite housing for my Nikon dSLR. OTOH, my good ol' Canon SD630 point-and-shoot doesn't do too bad (in good lighting situations). I just picked up a Canon underwater housing for it, and I gotta say, I'm impressed. It's very well designed, all the controls are completely functional, and it's easy to use.

They're about $160 - a reasonable price IMHO.

41EFD143HML._SS500_.jpg

BIW.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
....my good ol' Canon SD630 point-and-shoot doesn't do too bad (in good lighting situations).

But there generally isn't a great deal of light underwater, right? I realize it depends on how deep you go, but a lot of the most interesting stuff is going to be at the bottom of the lake/ocean.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
But there generally isn't a great deal of light underwater, right? I realize it depends on how deep you go, but a lot of the most interesting stuff is going to be at the bottom of the lake/ocean.

The flash remains operational, although I suspect it will be way too anemic underwater for shots at any distance, and worse the deeper I go. As you know, the problem with underwater photography is that it's way biased toward blue (the water absorbs the reds) and good flash becomes increasingly more important the deeper you go. This housing is good to 40 meters, but it would be rare that I dive that deep, and I suspect the images would be pretty worthless anyway. I'll probably take the 630 along next trip to Mexico, but for underwater photography in the past I've always either rented a camera or rented a housing, along with a monster strobe. I've always been disappointed with underwater point-and-shoots in the past (SeaLife) and I see no reason that this 630 setup would be any different.

Anyway, I got the thing mainly for in-the-water shots and on-the-water shots, rather than under-the-water. I want to try to get some shots from the other end of the rope.

foilsmall.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.