Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sajlonix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Hello,
I was wondering, why there is not wateproof feature for ipad?

I always like to read or watch streams in bathtub and the humidity can be good for such device.. so it crossed my mind, why apple never made ipad with just standard IPx up to 1 meter, they could andvertised that like an iphone when u spill something on it..

anyone knows why they never did something like that..?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Curious if you are serious? You use your iPad in the tub for reading? I'm not sure where you read or heard humidity is good for iPad's or any device for that matter.

Reactions: ericwn

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello,

I always like to read or watch streams in bathtub and the humidity can be good for such device.. so it crossed my mind, why apple never made ipad with just standard IPx up to 1 meter, they could andvertised that like an iphone when u spill something on it..

There is no waterproof iPhone, so there definitely won’t be a waterproof iPad. Maybe one day we will get a Water Resistant iPad much like the iPhones are water resistant, but water resistance does not mean you should use it in the tub.

You are better off getting a case that can seal it, don’t know if there are water proof cases for iPads though.

niktsi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
I believe they would be happy by meeting the common needs of users and leave the special ones out of the bargain.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
There is no waterproof iPhone, so there definitely won’t be a waterproof iPad. Maybe one day we will get a Water Resistant iPad much like the iPhones are water resistant, but water resistance does not mean you should use it in the tub.

You are better off getting a case that can seal it, don’t know if there are water proof cases for iPads though.
e2f417059119101e729616bab998a61d.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Tsepz

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I just visited the Rolex website to learn a bit about what true, "guaranteed waterproof" requires - there's a nice, long presentation on the evolution of their techniques over the decades. There's just no practical way to do something like that for something like an iPad at something approaching a "popular" price. It starts by having a case-within-a-case construction, each of them sealed. And its iFixit Repairability Score? Forget about it! The rough equivalent is what people currently do with iPhones - an accessory outer case like Otterbox, with a water-resistant iPhone inside.

The fundamental question for me is, why would every iPad or iPhone owner want to pay the extra cost of true waterproof construction? Not only would it be more costly, it would also inevitably add bulk and weight. I'm sure those are "prices" that many users would rather not pay, because it just doesn't match their lifestyles or intended use.

Speaking for myself, my iPad doesn't go into the bathroom. I go there to take care of my personal hygiene and get out again - I'm not going to watch a video while brushing my teeth, and certainly not while showering (my eyes are mostly closed while showering, and it's noisy - I'd also need waterproof earphones as well, and they'd probably be knocked from my ears while shampooing).

The only other place my iPad is at risk of wetness is in the kitchen for displaying recipes. When I do that, it takes just a bit of care to keep it high and dry. An accident could happen, of course, but the possibility is sufficiently remote that I wouldn't pay for an Otterbox, no less a Rolex-equivalent iPad.

But certainly, other people are different. The only question in my mind is whether a truly waterproof iPad or iPhone (a specific model such as iPone/iPad Pro, rather than making every model waterproof) would be sufficiently appealing to enough customers to be offered by Apple, which, with very few exceptions (Mac Pro) sells mass-market products.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello,

Yes, let little Timmy play with his electronic device underwater! :p

FranApple

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
I just visited the Rolex website to learn a bit about what true, "guaranteed waterproof" requires - there's a nice, long presentation on the evolution of their techniques over the decades. There's just no practical way to do something like that for something like an iPad at something approaching a "popular" price. It starts by having a case-within-a-case construction, each of them sealed. And its iFixit Repairability Score? Forget about it! The rough equivalent is what people currently do with iPhones - an accessory outer case like Otterbox, with a water-resistant iPhone inside.

The fundamental question for me is, why would every iPad or iPhone owner want to pay the extra cost of true waterproof construction? Not only would it be more costly, it would also inevitably add bulk and weight. I'm sure those are "prices" that many users would rather not pay, because it just doesn't match their lifestyles or intended use.

Speaking for myself, my iPad doesn't go into the bathroom. I go there to take care of my personal hygiene and get out again - I'm not going to watch a video while brushing my teeth, and certainly not while showering (my eyes are mostly closed while showering, and it's noisy - I'd also need waterproof earphones as well, and they'd probably be knocked from my ears while shampooing).

The only other place my iPad is at risk of wetness is in the kitchen for displaying recipes. When I do that, it takes just a bit of care to keep it high and dry. An accident could happen, of course, but the possibility is sufficiently remote that I wouldn't pay for an Otterbox, no less a Rolex-equivalent iPad.

But certainly, other people are different. The only question in my mind is whether a truly waterproof iPad or iPhone (a specific model such as iPone/iPad Pro, rather than making every model waterproof) would be sufficiently appealing to enough customers to be offered by Apple, which, with very few exceptions (Mac Pro) sells mass-market products.

I wouldn’t mind if they just made iPads IP68 water resistant though that’s for sure. Too many close calls when I’ve been close to water.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
GoPro makes video cameras that are waterproof generally to around 33 feet. They have lcd screens. So maybe technically feasible for Apple, but as mentioned prohibitively costly and not worth it for the iPad targeted audience. A rare need. But an interesting idea.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I wouldn’t mind if they just made iPads IP68 water resistant though that’s for sure. Too many close calls when I’ve been close to water.

Even IPX8 would be nice. My Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Libra H2O are both IPX8 which is nice for reading in bath tub, poolside, by the beach or (most common) the accidental coffee spill.

sajlonix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
okey guys.. I meant water resistent for ipad.. im not native english speaker lol

Reactions: niktsi

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I also think it would be great to have a water resistant iPad and I don’t understand why some people think that’s so crazy. It would really just need to be splash proof/rain proof for use around pools and/ or outside. It’s not like anyone needs to submerge it so it doesn’t need to be iPhone level water resistant.

Reactions: sajlonix

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
okey guys.. I meant water resistent for ipad.. im not native english speaker lol
Yeah for sure agree with that clarification. Some level of water resistance would be reasonable to me. Sometimes I clean the screen from fingerprints with a wet cloth too aggressively, and fear a few drops of squeezed-out water may have made their way inside the case.

niktsi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
An optional model would make sense as a pilot to measure the markets needs. A degree of water resistance would be useful for a lot of users i guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.