Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comacnut

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I'm looking for some type of weather proof cover for my Rebel XT. It doesn't need to be 100% waterproof, It just needs to provide decent protection from snow and rain. I like to be able to carry my camera around my neck while snow shoeing and the sub zero temperatures coupled with blowing snow could easily = a dead camera. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I think a 100% waterproof housing would be best for the conditions you describe. Canon make waterproof housings for the Rebel. There was also a waterproof "bag" with an optical glass front, but sorry i can't remember the name of it .. :eek:

Just tried Google .... The waterproof "bag" is made by a company called Ewa-Marine.

Emerson

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2004
Iowa
I would take a look at a product called Aqua Tech. I haven't personally used, but I have heard from many people that they are great for weatherproofing you camera. The system can also be adapted for longer lenses and different bodies. Just a thought. Here is a link to (the model depends on the lenses you plan on using):

BHPhotoVideo

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have an Aquatech cover- I used it once and ditched it as too much of a pain to deploy once it starts raining, I also tried the Optech with the same results. I use Fotosharp's covers now, you can trial them for 10 days before you pay- so if you don't like it, you don't have to keep it. I use the camo ones now, but the translucent ones are easier if you're not familiar with your camera's controls or you need to use a flash attached.

http://www.fotosharp.com/

I just keep one scrunched up in the bottom of my camera bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.