Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quillrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2022
So I have a 2019 iMac Retina 5l 3 GHz 6-Core Intel I5. I love it.

I'm a musician and do pretty heavy duty production via Logic and the iMac has handled it with aplomb. So far.

However, I've decided to delve into the video side of things, for starters recording myself while I play guitar etc. And I've come to notice one of the few areas where Apple cheated out in this otherwise incredible value for the dollar computer is in its wack webcam. FaceTime always looks like garbage and you can forget making videos with it since its apparently 720p. I've since read that it was replaced in the 2020 model with a full 1080p HD webcam.

Anyway, any suggestions for webcams? I know nothing on the subject. A previous thread on the webcam recommended the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, but that was written in 2020. Not looking to go crazy, but doesn't need to be budget either. Just a solid piece of equipment for making YouTube videos. Thanks!

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Well the easy answer is go to a 2020 model which upgraded the webcam to 1080p and added the image processor from the T2... but realistically due to the pandemic and work from home surging webcams were sold out for many many months, and then came the surge of the Chinese knockoff crap brands flooding Amazon and the like. The Logitech C920 lineup is still probably the best bang for your buck.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you already have a smartphone or tablet and don't mind some setup (and a way to stand it up), you might be able to just use their cameras with some software. I use OBS Studio for video stuff, and an iOS app called OBS Camera to connect it. I also know about https://vdo.ninja/ which is free, but the setup is a little more involved.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
For quality YT videos use a real camera on a tripod.
The 1080p webcam in my 2020 iMac is slightly better than the 720p webcam I had in my 2014 iMac, and is just adequate for Zoom and FaceTime and that’s about it.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
An iPhone camera option is discussed here:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
So I have a 2019 iMac Retina 5l 3 GHz 6-Core Intel I5. I love it.

I'm a musician and do pretty heavy duty production via Logic and the iMac has handled it with aplomb. So far.

However, I've decided to delve into the video side of things, for starters recording myself while I play guitar etc. And I've come to notice one of the few areas where Apple cheated out in this otherwise incredible value for the dollar computer is in its wack webcam. FaceTime always looks like garbage and you can forget making videos with it since its apparently 720p. I've since read that it was replaced in the 2020 model with a full 1080p HD webcam.

Anyway, any suggestions for webcams? I know nothing on the subject. A previous thread on the webcam recommended the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, but that was written in 2020. Not looking to go crazy, but doesn't need to be budget either. Just a solid piece of equipment for making YouTube videos. Thanks!

I used the iphone SE (cheap old 2016 model) and got 4k@24fps video from it.
Better yet I can adjust the shooting angle, too.
It will get hot if you shooting for 2-3 hours continuously, like in online studying situation, but for video making and streaming, it won't be a problem.

I use iVCam to connect the iphone to my iMac or PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.