Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radamo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
Since the latest version of Safari 15 on my iMac running Big Sur 11.6 I have an odd issue I can't figure out. I use Safari almost exclusively. I have all settings I am aware of set to open links in new tabs. But since the update (and after setting up some Tab Groups) every time I click a web link in an email a new Safari window opens. Those links used to just open a new tab within my existing Safari window. Anyone else figure out a way to prevent this?

• Love
Reactions: Mick84

radamo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
Why would you move this thread to Mac Basics??? This NEVER worked this way before the new Safari changes came out???

Darkseth

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
I'll hop onto this one too, since this issue bothers me too.
Hope anyone knows something (any hidden setting, a Terminal line, or anything?)

Reactions: Mick84 and radamo

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Links from Mail open in a New Tab for me - 11.6 and Safari 15.

I think it may work for me because I have Redirector set as my default browser (which opens Safari). Maybe try that if you really need the open in new tab functionality back? There are a couple apps like Redirector as well, Finicky is another.

Last edited:

radamo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Long Island, NY
Links from Mail open in a New Tab for me - 11.6 and Safari 15.

I think it may work for me because I have Redirector set as my default browser (which opens Safari). Maybe try that if you really need the open in new tab functionality back? There are a couple apps like Redirector as well, Finicky is another.
I was also going to ask are you using the new "Tab Groups"?

Sal Collaziano

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Royal Palm Beach, FL
The only way I get this to work is if my Safari is set to the top "untitled" tab group. If I have it to any of my pre-defined tab groups it opens a new window.
Thank you. For now, I THINK I've fixed the problem... I opened a link in a new email and a new Safari browser window opened up. I moved all the opened tabs in the other window INTO the new window. Now links are opening in the same browser window...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.