Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hi folks.

I have a friend who is having a wedding soon and wanted to have some sort of "community" web site for photos. Ideally, this site would allow her to open an account so that she could upload her photos. But she also wants to allow the wedding guests to upload their photos from the wedding as well.

We couldn't figure out a way to do this in flickr without telling the guest what the password is (which is the same as Yahoo mail).

Are there any websites that do this? Preferably free sites. Maybe you can do this in flickr and I'm just too dense. How about Picasa?

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
The safest way may be to use an ftp site. Give guests the password and have them upload the pictures. One person then uploads them to flickr or wherever. That ensures that at least one person has a chance to look at the images before they go up. You don't want every picture taken at a wedding available online. Some pictures show people in a light that they would rather not broadcast. Just my .02

projectone

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
i know you can do something very similar with mobileme if you have it. Guests can share or have their own folder and they can upload if you allow them too. And viewing the photos are really nice.

this is only if you have mobileme though.:)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I actually figured it out. You can kinda do this with Picasa Web Albums.

My friend can set up the account and create a public album. Then everyone can e-mail their photos to the Drop Box. My friend can then pick and choose which photos to move into the public album.

Alternatively, the guest could also e-mail directly to the public album if they choose, although jampat's concerns could be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.