Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Ok, so I have a SmugMug trial that ends in 5 days. The base is $40, but you can't right-click protect your images, cannot add HTML and customize, etc.

The $60 (what i am/was going to get) lets you do all that i listed the $40 option doesn't. People can buy prints right from your site, BUT YOU DON'T get any profits.

The $160 options lets you set prices and such, you get 80% of the profits and get more features as well, obviously. I do NOT like the fact that people could be buying prints from you and you get nothing! I am sure no one likes that.

What are some other options, short of writing one or having someone write one for you? I know that inuit (or whatever) has templates and such. Anyone have any experience? I would like to control everything that i sell, if i do:)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
So I am checking out Intuit's site, and actually think that is what would work better for me, I think. Best of all, it is the same price a year as SmugMug..

I am open to suggestion/advice!

** EDIT ** never mind, that place charges $20 a month after 30 days. Cheaper to go with smugmug thus far..

**EDIT 2** Zenfolio looks like it is good. $100 a year and you can set prices and all that jazz. Probably will go with that..

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I think I am going to go with a web host/domain name and templatemonster.com . Now I just need to pick a template..

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
In defense of the charges SmugMug and other sites charge...

You want your images to always be available. You want the server they're on to be secure. You want to know that, if your images become popular, that there'll be sufficient bandwidth for all your customers. You want the charge card processor to be efficient and secure.

All that stuff doesn't happen by itself. Some random dude can't plug in a server, turn it on, and walk away from it - there has to be a sysadmin maintaining it. Staff salaries and ISP bandwidth cost money.

A person can certainly set up his own server - but he better know what he's doing. If he ends up being responsible for someone's mishandled credit card, for example, he's hosed long-term. Spending two days learning PHP and then throwing it up on the web is a great shortcut to getting your server taken over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.