Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madredhatter22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
We're looking for creative photo ideas for our wedding and/or a suggestion for a highly skilled photographer in the Kansas City area. Our wedding will be on May 23, 2009.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Come on guys. Valdore has his niche. I doubt any of us can do HDR as well as him. Similarly few of us will be able to achieve ClixPix's or Compuwar's understanding of wildlife photography, or freebooter's landscapes.

madredhatter22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Valdore's stuff is amazing. I'd love to have photos like those. I emailed him, but I have my doubts as to whether he would be willing to do a wedding. We shall see I guess.

Chitoneus

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Chicago
If this ends up happening, would the two of you agree to posting some of the pictures? I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out, and it looks like some other people around here are too.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Regardless of how great Valdore is at what he does (I'd love to be looking at one of his unsalable photos on my wall right now ;) ), I would be weary to hire a wedding photographer with little to no experience. I've done weddings and each time I get my ass drug into doing one I tell them it is my first one and I am 100% ill-equipped. I have a great camera, decent lenses, a nice tripod, etc. but I am ill-equipped to handle a wedding. Most of the people want the would-be photo journalistic style and they get EXACTLY what they pay for. 500 photos that are in my opinion no better than what their friends could have done with the exception of sharpness. No matter how original I try to be I'm simply not doing it enough to really hoan in on those skills.

If this is a wedding where there is an agreed upon understanding of the skills/needs of the couple then I say more power to anyone willing to do it. But to the OP, if you're looking for a $5000 wedding photographer for $500 then you're not going to be pleased.

I believe Valdore is highly capable of taking interesting shots and he would most likely give you a unique experience. That's not meant to be a hit on him, you just have to respect a photographer who is very up front with their skills. The good news is Valdore doesn't appear to be a new owner of a D40/D60/D80 who made a few nice headshots of their sister and they're now doing a wedding. :) He does have a unique eye and the output is always quite beautiful.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Did my first wedding, I was more nervous than the groom! But for some crazy luck I got (what I think) some great shots. I recommend the book by Glen Johnson before a wedding. I tried some of his techniques during the dancing at the reception. I dug 'em!

Let me know if you want to see them.

(a little C&C would be good too)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Regardless of how great Valdore is at what he does (I'd love to be looking at one of his unsalable photos on my wall right now ;) ), I would be weary to hire a wedding photographer with little to no experience. I've done weddings and each time I get my ass drug into doing one I tell them it is my first one and I am 100% ill-equipped. I have a great camera, decent lenses, a nice tripod, etc. but I am ill-equipped to handle a wedding. Most of the people want the would-be photo journalistic style and they get EXACTLY what they pay for. 500 photos that are in my opinion no better than what their friends could have done with the exception of sharpness. No matter how original I try to be I'm simply not doing it enough to really hoan in on those skills.

If this is a wedding where there is an agreed upon understanding of the skills/needs of the couple then I say more power to anyone willing to do it. But to the OP, if you're looking for a $5000 wedding photographer for $500 then you're not going to be pleased.

I believe Valdore is highly capable of taking interesting shots and he would most likely give you a unique experience. That's not meant to be a hit on him, you just have to respect a photographer who is very up front with their skills. The good news is Valdore doesn't appear to be a new owner of a D40/D60/D80 who made a few nice headshots of their sister and they're now doing a wedding. :) He does have a unique eye and the output is always quite beautiful.

Agreed.

Even if I was good, there's no WAY I'd agree to do a wedding as a main photographer. It doesn't matter how good a photographer you are with other things, because photographing a wedding is far different than photographing a cityscape or something. It's all about experience, and knowing where to stand, what to do, where to wait, etc.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006

So true, great post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.