Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
So this isn't really about taking pictures at weddings... I somewhat know how to use my Nikon D50... my question is rather...

With the prevelance of Point and Shoot digital cameras which make next to no noise being the norm, is it acceptable to bring your (D)SLR to a wedding and take pictures? Maybe the noise is only noticable to me since I'm right up on the camera but I was wondering if anybody had ever complained to fellow (D)SLR users about their camera making noise.

Maybe I just worry too much. But I have a lot of weddings to go to this summer and like to take pictures.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
SilentPanda said:
Maybe I just worry too much. But I have a lot of weddings to go to this summer and like to take pictures.
The focus less on your shutter and more on your lens. With the pro photog stirring a ruckus, you're sure to go relatively unnoticed.

At the same time, the bride and groom will undoubtedly cherish any once-in-a-lifetime shots you get of them, their friends, and their family.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
ChrisBrightwell said:
The focus less on your shutter and more on your lens. With the pro photog stirring a ruckus, you're sure to go relatively unnoticed.

At the same time, the bride and groom will undoubtedly cherish any once-in-a-lifetime shots you get of them, their friends, and their family.

It also depends on where you are standing. The Pro might have permission to be all over. As long as you don't stray too much from your seat, you won't anger the couple (and photographer!)

pedrov

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
SilentPanda said:
So this isn't really about taking pictures at weddings... I somewhat know how to use my Nikon D50... my question is rather...

With the prevelance of Point and Shoot digital cameras which make next to no noise being the norm, is it acceptable to bring your (D)SLR to a wedding and take pictures? Maybe the noise is only noticable to me since I'm right up on the camera but I was wondering if anybody had ever complained to fellow (D)SLR users about their camera making noise.

my suggestion would be to leave your camera at home and enjoy your fiends special day. if you want images, buy the professional who is on hand.

your flashes will mess up the professionals, probably, and it's impossibel to be out of the way completely.

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
The flash would probably be the main concern as the pros are contantly metering for their shots. Although I was at an event once and the guy next to me had an SLR with an old flash that whined loudly. Everytime he took a picture the flash would have to recharge. That whining noise was so pervasive and distracting. Everyone I talked to in the room said they heard it and were annoyed.

pedrov

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
garfield2002 said:
The flash would probably be the main concern as the pros are contantly metering for their shots. Although I was at an event once and the guy next to me had an SLR with an old flash that whined loudly. Everytime he took a picture the flash would have to recharge. That whining noise was so pervasive and distracting. Everyone I talked to in the room said they heard it and were annoyed.

i sometime set up a flash to go off only when external flash that arent mine are fired. it sure messes up the small flashes that normally mess me up.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
  1. Turn the flash off -- do not disrupt the wedding photographer.
  2. Set the ISO level accordingly (obviously do not apply as much for daylight wedding) and bring your fastest zoom lens (ideally with image stabilizer).
  3. Keep away from the wedding photographer. Do not get in their way.

Otherwise, just about everyone will have their camera. Don't worry about it being DSLR. If any, you might get some wonderful shots to share.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
pedrov said:
i sometime set up a flash to go off only when external flash that arent mine are fired. it sure messes up the small flashes that normally mess me up.

That extra flood of lighting from a, most likely, different angle from the pro might contaminate the pro's frame. I say if you're not the designated documenter, and are doing it just for fun and sharing, be as subtle as possible. Don't use your flash. You might not mess up their metering by syncing the flashes, but you will mess up the overall lighting.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I shot my cousin's wedding (as the hired "pro") and I still got looks from people, albeit a small wedding.

I had a 20D, 50f/1.4 and 24-70 f/2.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8 for the ceremony part so I wouldn't have to be running in front of the stage the entire time annoying people (since this "stage" wasn't elevated at all I'd have been in front of the first row). I was blasting away from the back and a few of the back-row peeps turned and looked at the noise initially but once they realized it was the camera....well what could they do? :D

I'd say if you aren't the photographer hired to shoot then make sure to not get in the way....aside from that, my only suggestion would be to not bring your dSLR solely for a size argument. Enjoy your friend's wedding and bring a P&S if anything. I can attest that lugging around a SLR isn't the most fun....so unless you are the sole means of image capture, I'd go with something small or nothing at all.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
and please don't shoot over the pro's shoulder during the formals. This is very annoying and can ruin his shots. People don't konw where to look and so you get 5 people looking at the corrct lens (the pros) and 1 or 2 looking over his shoulder at yours. Not to mention the added time with the paparazzi gets their shot. Oh, and the flashes that set off the pros strobes...that is sure to get you a polite "Please turn your flash off or put the camera away" from the pro. Trust me...its stresful and difficult enough to shoot a wedding, don't compound things for the pro by having your stuff ruin what the Bride and Groom paid good money for. In the end its THEM you are hurting if you interfere with the pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.