Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
The topic of this week's contest is "Perspective down low".
This was prompted by our recent family trip to Walt Disney World, and watching "A Bug's Life".

Have fun with this, use whatever lens you like, etc.

Standard rules apply.

Follow all relevant local laws regarding stay-at-home orders. If you can't go outside, try and take a photo at home or grab one from the archives.

• Do not comment, vote, react or click "like" on images prior to the winners being announced.
  • The photographs must be your own work.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • This contest runs for one week. If in doubt, check the dates in the title.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends at 6:00pm 7/22/21, US Eastern Time (Midnight GMT).

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm in.

Down low to the ground, and me lying on the ground.

Hebrew Gardens Flower - 07a - resize.jpg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I was down low, standing on the ground looking up and pointing the camera and lens upward for this shot, on this hot day enjoying being pleasantly shaded by the leafy greenness all around me and delighted by the pink blossoms cascading from the branches and limbs of the tree......

Shaded by Pink and Green.jpeg

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
1626813706969.jpeg

Both low to the ground to capture the flowers, and also down low compared to the mountain pass ahead of me that had to be climbed!

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
eye level with the chickens ... (edit : sorry may have missed the cutoff)

View attachment 1810010

Your “in”, also apologizing to the entrants for not judging yet. I had a staff quit and Thursday was last day, and of course sh-t hit the fan yesterday on some matters. I’ll judge and post later today, it’s been stressful week, I needed downtime before doing judging.

Edit 5:30pm 7/24;
I went thru initial comments and pre rankings … now taking a break to see how I feel on them before posting results

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Viewed these on my 27” iMac .. you guys rocked the submission!

My comments in order of submission:
(I made up the names of each image, helped me)

#1 deep diver; tiniest bug on full bloom dandelion
First I love this image, it’s right outta “a bugs life”, with a tiny bug also!
I sense .. a summer day, the stillness of the air, only C&C is slightly off focus.

#2 OldMacs4me; stream waterfall
Nice balance of water flow yet bubbles frozen, I can hear the water trickling right now

#3 Buck987; city scape B&W
Truly a lovely surreal city scape … what are the people doing down below …each and every one scurrying on their own journey .. my eye waders thru the composition

#4 stillcrazyman; low tide sand boats
Storm off in the distance, wood jutting thru sand from .. a prior dock / pier perhaps …

#5 akash.nu; lion in wooden book filled library
Wow, this comes to me as the utmost upscale formal library / study .. I can hear a pipe smoking hunter telling the tale of him vs the lion … Was this a tour?
only C&C is I’d consider to crop slightly top / left to get rid of the picture frame edge .

#6 someoldguy; rails infinity perspective
Ok, full disclosure .. as a kid my friends and I would play many times by railroads, heck we’d “hitch” on for a few miles once in a while …
The perspective down center portrays adventure, fun, excitement .. only C&C is I’d consider lower aperture / zoom lens combo to see how that changes the detail / focus depth for the far background

#7 Clix Pix; colorful foliage
I’m smelling the blossoms in the air here, while reading my latest book

#8 Hughmac; B&W water bay
This .. I love, the few grasses sticking out, the openness & desolation

#9 Fravin; tree in brick pavers
Here, you’ve take the assignment to heart, and now I see a single tree in mid-day on some plateau

#10 Apple_Glen_UK; magic mushroom
Captivating, I love the DOF usage here, life is everywhere, a perfect mushroom canopy to go under wait a storm out

#11 Janichsan; B&W urban European tunnel
Fascinating image, timing is everything, capturing the reflections after a rain, everything just pops out and I’m wondering the countless things this bridge has witness over time. The composition is spot on, classic done.

#12 mollyc; underwater bubbles swimmer
What a lovey and colorful playful picture!
As I look, and see the “human” dressed with a hoodie .. am I a mermaid looking from down low – up, seeing a land dweller??

#13 mackmgg; blooming meadow field framed by mountain ridge
The mountain at altitude looking over the meadow on a cool day

#14 gaswerks; chicken stare off
Thought provoking imagery .. who are you, friend or foe ….now that were in this standoff what next?

Ok, virtual drum roll .....

Honorable mention – 2 actually

#1 deep diver; tiniest bug on full bloom dandelion
#9 Fravin; tree in brick pavers

3rd place
#14 gaswerks; chicken stare off

2nd place
#10 Apple_Glen_UK; magic mushroom

1st place and winner
#11 Janichsan; B&W urban European tunnel

Again congratulations, the diversity of the submissions showcases the talents in this group.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Brilliant judging. It was particularly difficult with the entries this time around.

Congratulations to the winners.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Congrats to the winners , and thanks for the judging/commentary. All good entries , don't know who I'd have picked if I had to judge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.