Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattw126

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Rules

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is Sublime

lazylightning

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
earth
Great White

Egret...that is

3017538234_7e2e39e17a_o.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
sublime moment...

My two favorite girls, sharing a brief moment of affection on the flanks of Mt. St. Helens, Washington just before sunset.

trisharudykiss.jpg

Canon EOS A2 35mm
Canon 100-300 f/4.5-5.6
Fujichrome 100 film

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Majestic Tiger

Why does it always seem as though tigers are staring right back at you?

415912832_d8gDU-L.jpg

Phonix90

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Magic Grass

I'm not that good in english to express this photo in right words, so i'll just say that i think this one is very special to me.

Attachments

• slika4i.jpg
    slika4i.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
^ ah you bet me to it!
My idea of a sublime setting, 1st hole at Gleneagles, home of the 2014 Ryder Cup Matches.

Attachments

• Gleneagles.jpg
    Gleneagles.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 167

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
An Early Morning

i think this is too late but no-one has announced anything yet so I will post this pic anyway.

taken on a headland last july
the kangaroo is intentionally out of focus if you were wondering :D

cheers, mickbab.

Attachments

• IMGP0198_3.JPG
    IMGP0198_3.JPG
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 165

mattw126

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
I really enjoyed seeing everyone's submission with the ambiguous theme of sublime.

From the dictionary:
"of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe
• used to denote the extreme or unparalleled nature of a persons' attitude or behavior"

I think that it also is a word that expresses a 'hard to describe' beauty.I think all the shots are great in their own right. I chose not to critique, just to say what I liked. For Honorable Mention:

lazylightning - your 'Great White" uses the right composition and the bleakness in color to create a Sublime feeling. Through the wings and their correct exposure I think a sense of nature's beauty is conveyed.

LittleCanonKid - At first I thought your image lacked depth, but after revisiting it, I thought what do I know? Sometime it's the mundane subjects in life that contain that 'something' about them.

Plymouthbreezer - The minute I saw this image I really enjoyed the scene of the open field framed nicely by the trees. Although the scene is bright, the colors are mute. I really liked this shot.

techie4life - Again the use of such drab color juxtaposing with a scene that portrays a deep silence. Cool shot.

pdxflint - This image captures a heartwarming scene with the light of the best time of day. I like how I get the feeling of being up there and smiling.

ipodtoucher - The colors are great as well as the composition. I like how the shadows create a great contrast leading your eye up the lane. A beautiful image.

Foxtrot Oscar - Although it's extremely soft this definitely aids it in being a strong piece of mood and contrast juxtaposed with elements of straightness. I really like the colors.

sreedy - This was another shot I instantly was drawn to by the muted colors, completed by the composition and pleasing bokeh. Very nice exposure.

bootedbear - This to me is such a pleasing image to look at the sun hitting the leaves over a very nicely framed waterfall. Again beautiful composition and it really has the pleasing quality of feeling 'like being there being there'.

Britnr3 - It's a cow that 's been exposd in a high contrast scene black and white.

NintendoChick - Beautiful sunset. I love the waves and reflection in the sand. Beautiful sky and solid colors. A great shot of a scene where I also go to enjoy the beauty.

Phrasikleia - Your images are always great with this week being no exception. It captures a mood hard to define, but still beautiful.

heron88 - This gives me the feeling of ease with its tropical scenery, yet I imagine many hours of hard work went into what becomes a nice lead for the subject's composition. I also like the exposure.

firstapple - Your capture really shows the majesty of a big cat, I think it also portrays the theme in the animal kingdom with a great subject. His look seems to portray a sublime strength. Even though he looks lovely, he could be ferocious through no fault of his/her own. The punchy colors add to the subject and and its demeanor.

Phonix90 - I think your image delivers a very interesting composition of color and texture. It's amazing how something as simple as grass, well focused, in some form of natural processes can combine to become something more ethereal in beauty.

ethereal - Cool shot of the fall colors. The 'halo' effect around the trees seem to say that this was an HDR. Either way it's a nice shot to look at.

jodelli - Wow, that must be some feeling teeing off to a nature's backdrop like that. That's a beautiful image an outstanding ladscape.

Fuzzy14 - I think your shot captures a feeling a solemnness and something moody of a great capture of the green.

Chappers - I like your use of color and focus to take a scene of flowers and create a feeling of witnessing beauty. It's a very nice shot.

apearlman - Your image undoubtedly captures the sublime beauty of nature. I like the focus that leads your eye downward and toward the beauty of the flower.

osin - This is another one that drew me right in, I especially liked the effect of the shutter on the exposure, beautiful composition.

mickbab - Yea, I think you missed it by almost five hours. But I can tell you I like your shot. I can imagine it must have been some moment. Your image I think capture's well the instance you feel when your amongst a scene of beauty.

The runner-up's were: (in no order) Plymouthbreezer, techie4life, pdxflint, sreedy, bootedbear, NintendoChick, Phrasikleia, heron88, firstapple, Phonix90, and lastly to Chappers.

Second Place belongs to apearlman.

The winner is osin

Congratulations & sorry for not posting sooner, I would have if I could have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.