Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
This is the fourth thread in the "photo of the week" contest thread 'series.'

Big thanks to SLC Flyfishing for having facilitated the first one!

Rules (Copied from the first thread)

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This weeks topic is: Emotion :D:eek::(

I'm a little hesitant to continue this since we didn't have much participation in the last thread. But, I'll do my duties as 'winner' and try and keep it going. Let's see if we can get a bit more interest and involvement this week. (rah! rah!) Show me pictures that in some way express 'emotion' to you...

It probably would help me evaluate the photos (and hopefully, since this is a learning thread where everyone who participates is a winner...) if each photographer said a few words about his/her own photo.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
This is my dad's friends son. I was babysitting him one day and he started just laying on the dog. It was about 8 at night so for a 1.5 year old it was late. I got this picture around 8:30. He was happy because his parents finally came home.

Attachments

• Gavin.jpg
    Gavin.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 185

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
St. Marks Square

This is from a trip in October 2002. It was taken with a Sony P7 (handheld). Enhanced a little with iPhoto.

8.0mm, 1/2 sec, f/2.8, ISO100

OK, sorry. I didn't realize there was a topic. My bad. Can someone delete this for me?

Attachments

• St. Mark's at Night.jpg
    St. Mark's at Night.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 179

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
This is from a trip in October 2002. It was taken with a Sony P7 (handheld). Enhanced a little with iPhoto.
<snip>
OK, sorry. I didn't realize there was a topic. My bad. Can someone delete this for me?

I think this still conveys 'emotion'- very pretty photo. the golden colors are beautiful

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
'Mischievous'

This girl is a minx and a wind-up merchant of the first order. What she doesn't realise is that it's written all over her face!

ATTACHMENT REMOVED

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Becksreflection.jpg

I'm getting ready to start applying to Medical Schools soon, my wife and I are starting to realize that we'll probably have to leave the only place either of us have really called home. We'll be moving away from family and friends and taking our two small children into a totally new place. We've both grown up in the Salt Lake City area, and we both like it here a lot. I'm both excited and nervous to try and make a life in a new town, I know my wife feels the same. This is a photo of my her looking out over the valley, the place that we've both called home for the last 25 years of our lives.

SLC

Pentax K10D
24 mm
30 second exposure at f/13
ISO 100

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I'm getting ready to start applying to Medical Schools soon, my wife and I are starting to realize that we'll probably have to leave the only place either of us have really called home. We'll be moving away from family and friends and taking our two small children into a totally new place. We've both grown up in the Salt Lake City area, and we both like it here a lot. I'm both excited and nervous to try and make a life in a new town, I know my wife feels the same. This is a photo of my her looking out over the valley, the place that we've both called home for the last 25 years of our lives.

SLC

Pentax K10D
24 mm
ISO 100

Excellent Photo! I love the way the lights from cars hare streamed across the screen, and there are some still ones aswell.

Oh Good luck at Medical School too!

Nathan

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
This isn't a great photo, but I like the emotion. This was also a film photo, scanned onto my desktop.

IMG-1.jpg

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007

SLC

Pentax K10D
24 mm
ISO 100

How did you get her not to move for 30 seconds? That is a long exposure for her not to move.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Blues

533910761_63f25bb496.jpg

Mamiya C220, 80mm f/2.8, Fujichrome Provia 100F

Little background:

His name is Brad, has been bumming around for a while, had been all over the US. When I met him, he had a broken collar bone. We traded stories, he asked about our studies and wished us luck. As we were about to leave I asked if he would mind me taking his photo, and he was more than happy, claiming he very photogenic. I think he was right.

I ran into him again in Pismo Beach (10 miles down the coast) a few weeks before I left for Sweden and stopped to see how he was doing. Apparently his luck wasn't any better, his arm was still in a sling and had injured his ankle somehow and could barely walk. Bought him a some food and said goodbye. Hopefully he is doing better and I will run into him again when I get back to the states.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
James Madison University Marching Royal Dukes

Attachments

• n1223310406_30148581_1336.jpg
    n1223310406_30148581_1336.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 154

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
How did you get her not to move for 30 seconds? That is a long exposure for her not to move.

She's an excellent model, she did move her head a little once when I was talking to her though, and the wind was blowing her hair around. It shows as motion blur on her head, but I think it kinda adds to this photo.

SLC

forty31

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
Quincy, IL
Trouble

She's always plotting her next attempt to overthrow her parents.
This is one of my first posts...still trying to figure out this photography thing...C&C are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2492-1a.jpg
    IMG_2492-1a.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 166

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It's nice to see so many folks participating in this thread. Please keep in mind it's not a thread intended for critiques or discussions on photo merits (read the rules on first post) but a comment or two ain't gonna kill us...;)

digitalphotog77

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
Emotion

533099323_b7d871c3d2.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
Focal Length: 150 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
"Disdain mixed with Contempt" (imo)

Nikon D300
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8
f: 2.8
shutter: 1/80
ISO: 800
Focal length: 170mm

2392302544_59e1168aa3_o.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Elation

State high school girls volleyball champions a few seconds after winning their final match for the trophy.

SCN0129.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 70-200 f/2.8
Fuji Super G 800 negative film
Coolscan V scanner

otter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Boy, you all are gonna make it tough on me!

This week's 'contest' will be over soon, but there's still time to get your entry in...

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Theres a fine line between emotion and expression. Sometimes an expression, let it be facially or bodily, does not convey a true emotion. In this photo i tried to capture the true emotion behind the children's behavior.

"At The Playground"

2226982765_77e717e39f_o.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.