Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the1sttransport

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

This week's theme: COLOR ACCENT.

In what ways can an accented color draw your eye? To what methods can this lend to the effectiveness of scene and subject?

Subject matter is open to imagination, just how your accent "pops" is up to you! :)

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
3676403885_fa4566af58_o.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot G10
Focal Length: 6.1 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Sheepy

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Chaps, how do I make them full sized on the screen? Smaller size or resolution?

S.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Chaps, how do I make them full sized on the screen? Smaller size or resolution?

S.

Which screen? In this thread or with some software you use?

Best upload the best resolution version you can offer, but maybe not bigger than 1920 x 1200 or so. If that is the case, use TIMG instead of IMG tags to embed your image.

Sheepy

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Spinnerlys,

On this page, and other than the resolution but, you're speaking another language. Think of an idiot, and you have me and my IT knowledge...

S.

Azazul

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Well I can't help but participate again, what have you done to me? ;) Another of the older pieces I've made, originally a photo from a concert, where one single guy was clapping with skiing gloves:

Be_Different_by_DireWish.jpg

slieu92

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
California
3rd red scare

:) aperture 3's brushes.

btw, the preview does not do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_9513 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_9513 - Version 2.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 235

arnebanane

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Taxi in la habana

canon ixus digital 50

La Habana, Kuba
Shutter: 1/100
Apperture: f/2.8
FLash: Off

IMG_6727.JPG

the1sttransport

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Great interpretations guys! Here we go...

macrumormonger - Surreal image! Absolutely beautiful use of the color, just the right lighting for what you were going for.

Sheepy - intense pic. Took me a few tries, is this is a carnival ride? Yellows/oranges/reds definitely convey the speed and action of the shot, nice job.

Chappers - Brilliant. So brilliant I had to double, triple take to even process such an image could be real. Truly our animal kingdom is bizarre!! Stunning, really stunning shot.

deep_diver - definitely true to the topic, and appreciate the natural/unaltered subject matter. The streak of intense reds/oranges against an otherwise palette of whites and grays is definitely the thought process of this week's challenge.

JDDavis - wonderful DOF, great framing, and very specific (and effective!) color choices. It's not simply the orange popping against black and white, there are definitely green tones and subtle nods to the original, while still being different and clearly wonderful.

someoldguy - this is somegreatpic! Perspective makes me feel simply dwarfed. Where do the clouds end? where does reflection begin? Definitely a wonderful shot.

Azazul - Many of us are suckers for the unique, and this nails it. Even if the picture had been color I'm sure our eyes would have gravitated to the ski glove, but this does make for an interesting submission. Fun pic, inspired thinking. I like it.

slieu92 - VERY interesting! I wish we had more information as to exactly this scene is. Is a predatory insect about to ruin the (wonderfully) red lady bug's day? Interesting in that in our thousands of years of art history the color of red has stood to symbolize innumerable particularities of intensity or anger, or action, and in this case the more threatening subject is in subdued grays and the vulnerable subject is scarlet. Very interesting!

Abraxsis - this picture is so breathtaking I'm having a problem. The first is accepting this is real, which is a testament to the amazing use of color and texture. The second, once having accepted this is real, is to imagination what would my reaction would be to walk outside and see this brilliant sky!! I'd probably run and grab my camera, like you!! Amazing use of perspective, framing, and most of color. The accents of gold is exactly the apex of this topic and I love everything about this. Well done.

arnebanene - this is an example of a shot that grows in you the more you look at it. The subject isn't really the car (though it is as far as the color would suggest), it's the scenery and culture. The more I take in the differing fashions, architecture, and setting the more I enjoy this picture.

acearchie - totally surreal. Uncanny imagination, a picture very pleasing to the eye but perhaps moreso to the brain. What is to be said about walking a pathway by yourself? Is this subject blind to an unforeseen threat or ideology? The extreme use of purple, does it relate to a passion or love? Passion unfulfilled as symbolized by the covered face? Nice shot.

rekud300 - this pic grows on me the more I see it. Lime green is a color rarely prevalent in nature (along with neon orange, it's found a niche in highlighting signs and safety clothing to "stick out"). This image becomes more and more pleasing in its departure from the norm through use of color. Using only blacks and lime, assisted by excellent framing and composition, this image definitely leaves a lasting impression. Good work.

NeGRit - great pic! Wow, isn't our animal kingdom amazing? I'd love to find out more, what kind of bird is this? Indigenous to where? Lovely framing, excellent use of color, desired depth of field. Very nice.

flosseR - I must've spent several minutes just enjoying the light bouncing up to the limbs of the trees. Perfect mixture of spectacular and subtle. The white/blue accent is almost dreamlike and I can't say enough how perfect the choice is for this shot. Must've been really neat to be there!

========================

Wonderful submissions. Very difficult to come up with three, we should all be proud:

3rd - flosseR -- As above, so very spectacular, yet so calmingly subtle. Wonderful blacks accented by a gorgeous light, thanks for the submission.

2nd - Chappers -- Ridiculous (in a great way!) shot. As it relates to color it's simply amazing.

1st - Abraxsis -- Exactly the theme of the week, and a picture that takes your breath away. Spectacular. Wonderful.

Abraxsis -- You have 48 hours to post a new theme. Can't wait!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I am so glad I wasn't judging this week - the quality was amazing - and the judging was great too - thanks the1sttransport

Big congrats to Abraxsis clever work. Beautiful shot.

My cricket - well the week before they were all the same colour as the vegetation - green. Then one day when it was time for well - mating - and this is the result. A dangerous game I guess.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Congrats to the winner..
as for my shot... well i drove the car and triggered the camera so I can tell you it was a thrill plowing down that road with full head beams on and flooring it. You have no idea how short 30seconds exposure is until you drive it from 0 to the end :)

Thanks for the nice comment.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Great week with some truly interesting photos. Great job judging as well. Looking forward to the next one!:)

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
NeGRit0 - great pic! Wow, isn't our animal kingdom amazing? I'd love to find out more, what kind of bird is this? Indigenous to where? Lovely framing, excellent use of color, desired depth of field. Very nice.

Thank you for the kind words. Honestly, i never really cared until my now ex gf took me to the zoo and was always watching discovery channel and that. As for the bird, it's a captive Lorikeet, they have an enclosure full of them, and you can buy the cup of nectar to feed them. This was at the Long Beach Aquarium. Quite an amazing little place. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.