Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Rules (Copied from the first thread)

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is HUMANITY

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Munich Glyptothek 238

For the impetus that created it, the spirit that preserves it, and the sentiment expressed...

Glyptothek238.jpg

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Attention Macrumors Members!

This contest will close tomorrow (Tuesday) night at midnight. Please don't make me judge a photo contest of three images. If anyone is wondering how "Humanity" would be expressed in an image, upload something related to our existence on this planet, and I'll write about each photo at the end of the contest.

Best of Luck,
JohnMC

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Humanity is Art - Musée d'Orsay

2800024104_1e8ff2f4f3_o.jpg
Having considered this - it is art that separates humans from the rest.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Outside of a little Mexican village, a woman runs a refuge for dogs. Her name is Mariposa, pictured on the left, shown here tending to an old dog who was injured in an attack by a larger dog in the nearby village. The villager who brought the dog in, shown on the right, and a friend of mine all did what they could to stabilize this old dog, in the end to no avail. As an observer, or journalist at that moment, I was moved by the humanity that was being shown to an old, perhaps unwanted old dog by these people, even if all they succeeded in achieving was to show an old soul some comfort, and that he was cared for in the end. Sometimes that's all you can do, but it's very human to anguish over this type of thing. Thus, my submission depicting "humanity."

img_0007.JPG

Model: Canon PowerShot A95
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 7.8mm
Flash Used: No

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Humanity is the human species, human nature (e.g.compassion, altruism) and the human condition (the totality of experience of existing as a human). It is also the study of one branch of the humanities, academic disciplines which study the human condition using analytic, critical, or speculative methods. (Wikipedia)

Human nature for a child (aka my niece).. Stockpiling all of her toys in the pool so no other kids can play with them but her:

358362026_Hd65f-L.jpg

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Not a great photo (cell phone) but she's 94 years old and he's .25 years old... thought it was a fun shot. :)

Attachments

• Recovered Photo-06139.jpg
    Recovered Photo-06139.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 166

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
Sorry to repeat the beach theme...

For some reason, this photo came to mind when I saw the subject for the week. Taken at Waikiki Beach, about 6:30 in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_4162.JPG
    IMG_4162.JPG
    961.9 KB · Views: 196

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
After much pondering, I have decided on this weeks' winners.

Our THIRD place photograph is by Chappers. Architecture is an art only possible through humanity and interaction within the human system. The photo takes third because of some minor framing/composition issues.

Our SECOND place photograph is by Phrasikleia. I found the photograph very interesting visually, however I felt the colors were a little too blue.

And, our FIRST place photograph is by Ghostguts. Love is the greatest characteristic of humanity. The photograph of the "Two Lovers" had no technical flaws to my reckoning.

Congrats to our winners! Ghostguts the next contest is yours.

JohnMC

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Congratulations Ghostguts, another wonderful photo

(but I'm gobsmacked that pdxflint didn't win this one, seeing as he captured the definition of humanity - storytelling through photography at its most moving)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Our SECOND place photograph is by Phrasikleia. I found the photograph very interesting visually, however I felt the colors were a little too blue.

Uh oh...perhaps I need to recalibrate my monitors, because it looks quite warm with yellows and reds to me. Does it look blue to anyone else? I'm very curious to know. Thanks!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Uh oh...perhaps I need to recalibrate my monitors, because it looks quite warm with yellows and reds to me. Does it look blue to anyone else? I'm very curious to know. Thanks!

Warm for me too. Nice photo.

Mine came third - had some minor framing/composition issues. Could you expand JohnMC. This is not my usual type of photography, there I was in an art gallery that was artistic - so felt I had to take a photo or two.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Okay, I knew this would end in some controversy so I'll make a quick post to explain a few things, but I don't want this to become a long debate as the new photo contest is up and this contest has closed.

First off, the topic of Humanity can/could be captured a million different ways, because if this fact I made a decision to judge any photo related to Humanity on the more technical aspects of photography.

Mine came third - had some minor framing/composition issues. Could you expand JohnMC. This is not my usual type of photography, there I was in an art gallery that was artistic - so felt I had to take a photo or two.

Chappers, what I mean by minor framing/composition issues was I thought the shot would have been much more interesting if taken from the lower level of the building, looking up towards the roof and the staircase at the far end. The roof had so much detail in it which only partially captured.

Phrasikleia, it might just be my monitors, however I looked at the photo on two different screens in my house and both looked the same. With that said, I do use the same calibration system on both computers so it might just be me, if it turns out to be the case you have my apologies.

(but I'm gobsmacked that pdxflint didn't win this one, seeing as he captured the definition of humanity - storytelling through photography at its most moving)

And finally in regards to the photo referred to by Hello.there, the image looks flat because of the blown out lighting. If the lighting had been more dynamic it may have been a contender.

My hope is everyone can move on from this, judging photo contests is not always easy. I made the best decisions I thought I could make based on the criteria I came up with. For everyone to note Ghostguts has posted the newest contest with the theme A New Beginning. Please check it out and lets all go back out a shoot some more.

JohnMC

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers, what I mean by minor framing/composition issues was I thought the shot would have been much more interesting if taken from the lower level of the building, looking up towards the roof and the staircase at the far end. The roof had so much detail in it which only partially captured.
JohnMC

No problem for me - I was just looking for a bit more feed back. So thanks for that.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Okay, I knew this would end in some controversy so I'll make a quick post to explain a few things, but I don't want this to become a long debate as the new photo contest is up and this contest has closed.

LOL. Don't worry, there's no controversy and certainly no debate, just a few people with some curiosity. These contests are great fun. I was lucky enough to win once, but have lost many more times...and I have fun with them either way. I really was seriously curious to know if my monitor calibration was off because it's something I had been worrying about for some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.