Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Anthropomorphism is the attribution of uniquely human characteristics to non-human creatures and beings, natural and supernatural phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts. Subjects for anthropomorphism commonly include animals and plants depicted as creatures with human motivation able to reason and converse, forces of nature such as winds or the sun, components in games, unseen or unknown sources of chance. Make sure you explain (either in the title of description) what we're supposed to see.

This week's challenge - Anthropomorphism or, if that is too much of a stretch for you; Macro.

Tell us a story. It should be very interesting seeing what everyone comes up with...from the traditional interpretations through more creative representations

previous contests here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/580184/

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
A macro of the most anthropomorphic car produced :)

4162257524_96c5ac1b9f_b.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Guanyin

Deities are virtually always anthropomorphized. It all has to do with the limits of human experience and expression. Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings who have put off entering paradise in order to help others attain enlightenment. Guanyin is the bodhisattva associated with compassion. Literally in the Chinese language, "Guanyin" means "observing the sounds", which means Guanyin would always observe all the sounds from the world and always listen to requests from her worshippers.

Attachments

• Guanyin-contest-adjusted.jpg
    Guanyin-contest-adjusted.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 191

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
I'll try to satisfy both here. A macro shot of a US dollar bill.

-On the seal, the Eye is surrounded by the words Annuit Cœptis, meaning "He approves (or has approved) [our] undertakings", and Novus Ordo Seclorum, meaning "New Order of the Ages". The Eye is positioned above an unfinished pyramid with thirteen steps, representing the original thirteen states and the future growth of the country. The lowest level of the pyramid shows the year 1776 in Roman numerals. The combined implication is that the Eye, or God, favors the prosperity of the United States.
-Popular among conspiracy theorists is the claim that the Eye of Providence shown atop an unfinished pyramid on the Great Seal of the United States indicates the influence of Freemasonry in the founding of the United States.

4347006018_3768e4defb_b.jpg

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
C&c

Chappers: Nicely interpreted! This photo is a fun and creative expression that I very much enjoy. Spot on with the composition--the shallow DOF works well I think.

Deep Diver: Give me a million years and I don't think I would have come up with the deity twist on the contest you did. I like where your mind went on this one. I love the color palette for the picture and think the DOF works well here as well. I wonder if the composition could be changed in such a way to either minimize the shadows on the right or to enhance them and make the picture more dramatic.

jodelli: This is pretty neat--reminds me of the games currently going on in Vancouver. The shot has some potential--lighting is somewhat flat (tho there is some to work with from the left) and I wonder if softening the waves via longer exposure might allow more light and a tighter focus on the subject--making the background less busy. I would also recompose to get the subject off-center. This is an interesting subject, can you make it even more so?

designguy79: This one made me crack a grin. Nice use of colors and lighting to draw attention--which appropriately enough, fits your "Where do I belong" title perfectly. I find my eyes wandering over all three points of interest--as if trying to decide where the tomato belongs. It seems the fruit are closer than the veggies? If not then the picture is tilted?
Well done.

OrangeCuse44: Clever combination of the two separate aspects of the challenge. DOF on macro can be difficult. I think you were successful in this shot. The subject limits interest, but your creative application to the challenge made up for that.

JDDavis: In terms of the contest this shot is very applicable (have we seen this bunny before? ;) ) The flash in the foreground has created some harsh shadows on the subject while lighting on the background provides an overall darkened or "muddied" appearance to the shot. BTW--what movie is playing?

telecomm: One of the RoboCops? Is that the movie this picture is reminding me of? Fitting for the contest as a subject, however, not sure that it would garner any interest outside of that. How could it be made more interesting?

liljohnny51: Not sure how this picture fits in with the contest (forgive me if I am overlooking something obvious. Obvious and I don't see eye to eye sometimes…

flutegirl822: Interesting shot. I like the water droplets and the subject is instantly recognizable. A non-centered crop of the photo would make this more appealing--also, if / when you have a macro lens you would see this shot in a dizzying array of variations in the water droplets. Sometimes letting one of these be the picture is better than a picture of the subject itself.

Well done all. Not your normal, run of the mill subject :D

2nd Runner Up: deep diver The colors draw me back to this again and again
Runner Up: Chappers It is impossible to miss the fun in this picture
Winner: designguy79 Some good thinking and technique went into this shot (and it shows)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
[B said:
JDDavis:[/B] In terms of the contest this shot is very applicable (have we seen this bunny before? ;) ) The flash in the foreground has created some harsh shadows on the subject while lighting on the background provides an overall darkened or "muddied" appearance to the shot. BTW--what movie is playing?

Great job on a difficult subject and I think you nailed the winner. I've never shot with a bunny before... It was sitting there on the chair and I didn't know what to do for this contest. I agree, the flash was bad. I darkened up the background trying to make a dull shot more interesting. I think it was Laredo, or Wagon Train or some western TV series that was on.

Thanks again for judging. Looking forward to the next one.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Cool, thanks! I am looking forward to the new subject, too, and giving the feedback should be challenging.

I think the fruits were a bit closer, because technically a tomato is a fruit. But far enough away to still convey that he doesn't feel a part. :)

Does anyone keep a list of past topics? I don't want to rehash a recent one!

~ Jeremy

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Would you believe I didn't get the confused tomato metaphor until just now?

There is a list of the first 72 or so winners and topics in the opening post of this contest, but it hasn't been updated in a while.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Congrats designguy. Very funny image.

Maxx - great job judging. There were not many images for this one but a really good challenge with fantastic entries.

I would like to be able to explore some of your suggestions. This shot happened with a lot of luck. This statue is at Chicago's Field Museum. It was in the afternoon on a school holiday. My family and I had already been there for a couple of hours. The museum was packed, we were all tired, and the family was pressuring me to be done. I fired off exactly one shot, and got it.

I actually like the lighting. The light and shadows play on a theme of revealed and concealed aspects of the divine.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Firstly congrats to designguy nice shot - but technically everything in the photo except the carrot is a fruit.

I'm surprised and pleased by second for my Beetles but honestly thought deep diver was on a winner here. Cracking shot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.