Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Minimalism
Minimalism describes movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is stripped down to its most fundamental features. (Wikipedia)

Previous Contests / Winners: Click Here!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'll start.

Attachments

• 0 bulb-final.jpg
    0 bulb-final.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 229

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
2858165649_5891cf3898_b.jpg

George Rickey, Three Squares Gyratory.
Getty Museum, Los Angeles

Minimalist sculpture with a hint of movement.

Camera: Casio EX-Z750
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 7.9 mm
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I sent a PM NathanCH this morning. He had 24 hours after the end of the contest to post his critique and judgment. It is now more that 24 hours since the ending time stamp on this contest. Those responsibilities now fall to panoz7 or flutegirl822 who were the 2nd and 3rd place winners. If they do not respond by Tuesday evening then we ask for a volunteer to judge.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Sorry I'm late. Good job everyone and thanks for submitting. Sorry the topic was somewhat difficult, but I think the challenge is the best part. I'll get straight to the point so we can get going to the next contest!

3rd:

CK Williams: If I thought of minimalism, I think your photo would come to mind. Couldn't get anymore fundamental than this! I like it a lot.

2nd:

Razeus: Great composition and ever better colours grading.

1st:

SLC Flyfishing: I think it speaks for itself! Good focus, unique colouring, good composition. Very minimal and I think it's a great example of Minimalism.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well SLC Flyfishing - as soon as I saw this I knew I had no chance. Its got winner written all over it. good job.

On a side note we changed the rules recently to make them easier to understand and give timings for the return of judges etc.
But we went back to the old ones for this contest.

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.