Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Rules (Copied from the first thread)

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is Gravity.

Edit: The contest thread has been reposted.

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
Head over heels...

web.jpg

While not the most technically proficient of photos, this is what happens when you go too fast on a scooter in the rain!

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
does anyone else find it odd that this [never-ending] thread has the same ~10 participants and winners? :rolleyes:

Yet you still find yourself drawn to click the link :rolleyes: If you find a thread, that others enjoy, so tedious why not ignore it?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I click the link to see what is there. 1/2 of the idea is great (in my view) -- the half that is similar to the assignment threads. The independent judging of photos to determine a "winner" is bothersome.

a.) Assignments are great ways to get different takes on a common theme.
b.) General comments and criticism exists in the Photo of the Day thread.

Combining those two in "contests" where someone decides the merit of various photos just irks me. It's art, and it shouldn't be judged so arbitrarily (although there are concrete methods to evaluate photos that aren't currently employed.)

Everyone is entitled to their own threads and to their own opinions; I'm just expressing the latter. I'm happy to be quiet about it for now, but I'll continue to share my grumpiness on the matter in a few more months if needed. ;)

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Combining those two in "contests" where someone decides the merit of various photos just irks me. It's art, and it shouldn't be judged so arbitrarily (although there are concrete methods to evaluate photos that aren't currently employed.)

Grimace? You seriously need to lighten up - it's a bit of fun, it's not life and death.

I'm happy to be quiet about it for now, but I'll continue to share my grumpiness on the matter in a few more months if needed. ;)

I have no doubt you will ;)

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Grimace - if you prefer the assignment threads, then feel free to take your participation there rather than here. But some of us enjoy this weekly contest. It allows for greater, not lesser, diversity because of the multiple originators of the theme and 'winner'. If it were to become the same as the assignment thread, then what would the purpose of two separate threads be?

But if it is so fascinating to you that you feel the need to check it out every week - then post a photo when you do! If there are repeat winners, that is more a function of not enough new participants than it is some grand conspiracy.

BTW - as a first-and-only-time recent 'winner', I can't vouch that the same folks always win.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Grimace - if you prefer the assignment threads, then feel free to take your participation there rather than here. But some of us enjoy this weekly contest. It allows for greater, not lesser, diversity because of the multiple originators of the theme and 'winner'. If it were to become the same as the assignment thread, then what would the purpose of two separate threads be?

But if it is so fascinating to you that you feel the need to check it out every week - then post a photo when you do! If there are repeat winners, that is more a function of not enough new participants than it is some grand conspiracy.

BTW - as a first-and-only-time recent 'winner', I can't vouch that the same folks always win.
The assignment threads have been subsumed by this thread! I vote for a resurrection of the assignment thread, which has a long and distinguished history.

There certainly aren't any repeat winners yet, and my whining may ensure that :p just a recurring number of participants. Honestly, if we had a bi-weekly assignment thread, and the subject was voted on via the nifty poll tool, it would remove the whole "judgement" thing that gets my panties in a bunch. We used to offer up ideas for 2 days in a "assignments suggestion thread", create a poll to have the group decide on the topic, then have that be the topic for the next two weeks.

Honestly, it's the judging that bothers me, not the fact that it's the same people over and over again. I think the lack of judgment would encourage MORE people to post on the given topic. I would love to post, but I don't want to be in the running for a "best" picture - just the picture that I happened to see through my viewfinder.

Anyway, it's nothing personal - we all have the best of intentions on this forum and we are far more cordial than most other photo forums. I'm happy to be a grump, and I'm happy to have people justify why they think this contest angle is a good thing! :)

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
For my own $.02 ... I would argue for a resurrection of the assignment thread rather than subsuming of this one into an alternate of that. Surely there is room for both on this forum.

When first I ventured into this forum, I asked about the assignment thread, because I love participating in assignments. I was told that it merely lacks for someone to organize it. If you like, I still have the PM's that gave me the instructions on that - maybe you'd like to light that one up again - and meanwhile, we can all continue to enjoy this weekly contest.

I've picked my 'gravity' pic - have you? :rolleyes:

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The assignment threads have been subsumed by this thread! I vote for a resurrection of the assignment thread, which has a long and distinguished history.

I think the assignment thread doesn't exist at this point because no one has volunteered to take it on the responsibility of maintaining it.

Edit: Beat me to it AxisofBeagles!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Okay, I'll resurrect it. And, in the interest of dictatorships, I will choose the initial topic and make a method for determining subsequent assignment topics.

I think that this is a bit dangerous, in that the segment of the forum members interest in posting on a given topic is relatively low and splitting it into contest vs. not contest is divisive. We both may get burned, but heck, it's worth a shot.

Feel free to post in the resurrected assignment thread and I'll feel free to view the contest thread! :D

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
does anyone else find it odd that this [never-ending] thread has the same ~10 participants and winners? :rolleyes:

Honestly, if you want something serious and more artsy/critique oriented then you should go to a photographic web site. This is macrumors, not a photo site. I like this because I go to macrumors everyday and this is here. But I by no means put any stock in the winners and losers. This is by no means whatsoever a professional photo contest of any kind. It's just fun and easy.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Honestly, if you want something serious and more artsy/critique oriented then you should go to a photographic web site. This is macrumors, not a photo site. I like this because I go to macrumors everyday and this is here. But I by no means put any stock in the winners and losers. This is by no means whatsoever a professional photo contest of any kind. It's just fun and easy.

If you don't put any stock in the winners or losers, than this particular thread is (to you) an assignment thread.

Having a "winner" has always deterred me from posting, and a number of other users too, given the number of PMs that I have received in agreement. Some people want to have critique, but not be placed in a hierarchy. I have really liked some of the topics but draw the line at contributing because of what I have already droned on about.

It's a pretty simple point: some people like contests and others don't. Because it is art, opinions can vary widely. I have now resurrected the Assignments thread to complement (not compete) with this thread.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Having a "winner" has always deterred me from posting, and a number of other users too, given the number of PMs that I have received in agreement.

If I’d a pound for every time someone said “I got lots of PMs agreeing with me” I’d make Mr Jobs seem like a pauper. Come on Grimace! I’m sure if there were other conscientious objectors who were similarly affronted by the abomination that is the Weekly Photo Contest they wouldn’t have been too shy to share their views in a thread. :rolleyes:

Some people want to have critique, but not be placed in a hierarchy.

A hierarchy? Okay. So, winning the Weekly Photo Contest is akin to triumphing at the Sony World Photography Awards? Jeez, there was me thinking it was just some harmless fun, one person picking out a photo they liked a lot and asking the snapper in question to choose a theme for the next contest.

Because it is art, opinions can vary widely.

Indeed, and sometimes they don’t tally with your own. Which is the problem here, right? ;)

Your intervention in this thread brought back memories of the kid in the schoolyard stealing the ball because he couldn't cope with the notion of the other kids having some frivolous fun. Fortunately most of the great folk I've 'met' on Macrumors don't take themselves so seriously – and the ones who didn’t fancy getting involved in the photo contest simply opted to contribute to the Photo of the Day thread instead, rather than attempting to steal the ball...maybe they just don’t have a problem with kids having some frivolous fun?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.