Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Finally you get to post not just one, but several pictures 😉. Show me a collage of photos with the same subject / relationship / idea. We all use a DAM to keep track of our photos, so I’m sure you guys keep albums to sort stuff. You can simply create a screenshot of such an album, or go wild and use a lighttable to get creative and reposition, resize. I have fond memories from that in Aperture. EOL’d now, but I’m sure Lightroom has this as well. Take your pic: flowers, b&w, DOF, minimalism, cars…really; anything goes. So we can all take a peek-a-boo at thumbnails and perhaps ask posters to upload 1 or 2 full frame after the contest.

Here’s a quick and dirty screenshot of some iPhone macro photos, a 1 minute creation from an app I found in the MAP (< no affiliation). But you can also simply do a cmd-shift-4 from an albums' thumbnails to create a screenshot.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 20.39.26.png

So, post a (single) screenshot with thumbnails from an album, or a LightTable. Please do check the file size; these light tables can get massive, and I believe there’s a 10MB restriction on this site. For good reason; these datacenters slurp up massive amounts of electricity and gasoline.

EDIT: added below pic from a friend, might be inspirational as an option for someone 😃

0018fR_2.jpg

As always, standard rules apply:

• The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now.
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Last edited:

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I think this is due to finish today, so come on, get some more images in ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
OOPS! Forgot to close this yesterday...

@OldMacs4Me oooh nicely done. Looks like a brochure!

@oblomow nicely laid out, 3 panoramas (or perhaps crops) with the top and bottom an AR of ≈ 1x5 and the middle one ≈ double the height. Looks cold, yet inviting for a long walk

@mollyc nice variety of subjects, both color and b/w, nature, animal, weather, objects. I like it. As usual the photos are all great compositions!

@Strider64 nicely blended! The 3 images (of Gratiot Ave., Woodward and Hart Plaza in Detroit) flow great to the adjacent photo. It looks like the car was ’shop’d into as an overlay’, which gives the collage a rather ‘huh, what’s this?’ Feel to it all. Nicely done!

@Hughmac look at this! …was my reaction. Another take on filling the frame: using a background photo with the subject in the middle, with a bunch of insets placed around it. When going clockwise from top left, I recognise #1 (railway) and #5, the sunset with sheep. Others I think I recognise as well, but not all. But they all look stunning, and it’s a neat idea to use a single subject/composition to create this collage. I like it!

Pity MrCheeto wasn’t able to post a newly lighttable from Aperture in time. Oh well. ’Still’, I need to appoint a winner. Which is rather difficult with 5 entires and 3 podium places. Really, there isn’t much difference in your effort to post something so on topic and so well executed between you all. Yet, since I do need to put y’all on a virtual stump I’d say:

3rd place Excuse myself for doing the following: with just 5 entries I simply cannot appoint a 3rd place specifically: so props to you @oblomow, @mollyc, @Strider64!

2nd place @Hughmac nicely laid out on the virtual light table!

1st @OldMacs4Me The way of the layout, the top left photo of the front, the bottom right on the back, the diagonal line…it all kinda makes it an inviting poster if you will. I like it. Looks like a brochure.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Thanks for the Honor. I love doing something more than just a regular image from car show shoots.

Will be back later this evening or first thing tomorrow with the new challenge. Unfortunately @mollyc ran off with an idea I'd been nursing for awhile so it's back to the drawing board.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for the Honor. I love doing something more than just a regular image from car show shoots.

Will be back later this evening or first thing tomorrow with the new challenge. Unfortunately @mollyc ran off with an idea I'd been nursing for awhile so it's back to the drawing board.
what did i do?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
OOPS! Forgot to close this yesterday...

@OldMacs4Me oooh nicely done. Looks like a brochure!

@oblomow nicely laid out, 3 panoramas (or perhaps crops) with the top and bottom an AR of ≈ 1x5 and the middle one ≈ double the height. Looks cold, yet inviting for a long walk

@mollyc nice variety of subjects, both color and b/w, nature, animal, weather, objects. I like it. As usual the photos are all great compositions!

@Strider64 nicely blended! The 3 images (of Gratiot Ave., Woodward and Hart Plaza in Detroit) flow great to the adjacent photo. It looks like the car was ’shop’d into as an overlay’, which gives the collage a rather ‘huh, what’s this?’ Feel to it all. Nicely done!

@Hughmac look at this! …was my reaction. Another take on filling the frame: using a background photo with the subject in the middle, with a bunch of insets placed around it. When going clockwise from top left, I recognise #1 (railway) and #5, the sunset with sheep. Others I think I recognise as well, but not all. But they all look stunning, and it’s a neat idea to use a single subject/composition to create this collage. I like it!

Pity MrCheeto wasn’t able to post a newly lighttable from Aperture in time. Oh well. ’Still’, I need to appoint a winner. Which is rather difficult with 5 entires and 3 podium places. Really, there isn’t much difference in your effort to post something so on topic and so well executed between you all. Yet, since I do need to put y’all on a virtual stump I’d say:

3rd place Excuse myself for doing the following: with just 5 entries I simply cannot appoint a 3rd place specifically: so props to you @oblomow, @mollyc, @Strider64!

2nd place @Hughmac nicely laid out on the virtual light table!

1st @OldMacs4Me The way of the layout, the top left photo of the front, the bottom right on the back, the diagonal line…it all kinda makes it an inviting poster if you will. I like it. Looks like a brochure.
Sorry, I forgot to say thank you for the safe 2nd, and well done to everyone who entered ;)
A worthwhile exercise in learning how to make collage.

Hugh

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Sorry, I forgot to say thank you for the safe 2nd, and well done to everyone who entered ;)
A worthwhile exercise in learning how to make collage.

Hugh
Obviously not mandatory, but thank you for your thank you. Yes, these challenges are fun to do. Well, most of them anyway 😉

Reactions: Hughmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.