Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
Rules (Copied from the first thread)

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is Motion

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I'll offer up my submission, World War II Memorial, Washington DC.

2692866649_c7d3d26a90.jpg

JohnMC

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
-Contest Over-

Alright. Time to Decide the winner. There are a lot of good ones.

I notice a lot of you are photographers, with macs, and fancy camera equipment. I am no professional, in fact I hardly get a chance to take photos, not that I ever have anything interesting to shoot. If you feel my choice for winner is unfair, unjust, or just plain out of taste -- keep in mind I am no photographer. There may be more detail, effect, or dedication put into a photo than I can see, as I was never trained to see it.

I just happened to stumble across the last contest, which had a Gravity theme. I posted a picture I took when I first got my Olympus FE-140 Digital Camera, and won that week. It did take a good while to catch the water droplet as the camera was slow. Trial & Error won out eventually.

And now for the Winner. I choose wheezy's photo of the car racing down a track. I notice everything is extremely blurred and out of focus, but the back of the car is in focus for the most part. Pictures taken quickly like that often are completely out of focus, how he managed to get the part of the car in focus for the most part is beyond me. I'm sure it's all in technique though.

Second Place would be gnd's photo "motion in the breeze". The ghostly feel to it is cool.

Third would be JohnMC's photo of the "World War II Memorial, Washington DC." It reminds me of the old WWI pictures taken by early Cameras that showed only dead people (as they didn't move for the long exposure times). Living soldiers appeared ghostly as they didnt stay still for the whole exposure time.

You won, Wheezy. the next contest is yours.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Congrats weezy. did u use gaussian blur in photoshop? or radical blur?

I used panning blur :) I work at a Drag Strip every Friday night so I'm right on the track. I'm supposed to shoot fast shutter freeze frame shots of the cars for the racers to buy, but that can get boring so I played around a few weekends ago and had fun panning with slow shutter speeds.

All I did in Photoshop was cropping and contrast adjusting.

I'll start the new post up here in a few minutes when I pick a theme. Thanks!!!!

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
I used panning blur :) I work at a Drag Strip every Friday night so I'm right on the track. I'm supposed to shoot fast shutter freeze frame shots of the cars for the racers to buy, but that can get boring so I played around a few weekends ago and had fun panning with slow shutter speeds.

All I did in Photoshop was cropping and contrast adjusting.

I'll start the new post up here in a few minutes when I pick a theme. Thanks!!!!
haha. nice job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.