Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Rules (Copied from the first thread)

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

In consideration of the upcoming July 4th weekend, this week's theme is Americana - expressing all things uniquely American.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Bluegrass: that high lonesome sound

HonkeytonkHomeslice1.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Gateway Arch, St. Louis, Missouri. 2006.
Stitched in Canon's Photostitch software.

make sure to click for the full sized version!

archPan.jpg

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Ah ha, I thought I had no Americana in my photo collection, but I was wrong (with thanks to Doylem for the inspiration :) ):

2633041611_6be842643c_b.jpg

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
A number of really cool photos – thanks to all who submitted one. Ghostguts’ backlit b&w of the guitarist is a great rock and roll photo. And the panorama of the St. Louis arch is fantastic.

My choice for the winner this week is Phrasikleia’s “Bluegrass” photo
. I like this photo both for it’s technical merit; sharp, good color, well composed, nicely capturing the sense of being there – but also for it’s narrative to the theme. Something about the people in the photo makes it particularly evocative of something uniquely America.

A special mention for goodmorning’s photo of the wayside chapel. While my personal preference would be to see a little better tonal range and contrast in this photo, I really like it’s image in relation to the theme. America is the land of a church on every other street corner or, as in this case, sitting lonely on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Had the photo appealed to me a little more technically, I probably would have chosen it.

Over to you for next week, Phrasikleia.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thank you!

A number of really cool photos – thanks to all who submitted one. Ghostguts’ backlit b&w of the guitarist is a great rock and roll photo. And the panorama of the St. Louis arch is fantastic.

My choice for the winner this week is Phrasikleia’s “Bluegrass” photo
. I like this photo both for it’s technical merit; sharp, good color, well composed, nicely capturing the sense of being there – but also for it’s narrative to the theme. Something about the people in the photo makes it particularly evocative of something uniquely America.

A special mention for goodmorning’s photo of the wayside chapel. While my personal preference would be to see a little better tonal range and contrast in this photo, I really like it’s image in relation to the theme. America is the land of a church on every other street corner or, as in this case, sitting lonely on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Had the photo appealed to me a little more technically, I probably would have chosen it.

Over to you for next week, Phrasikleia.

Thanks for your vote and kind comments, AxisOfBeagles! Sorry for the delayed reply; I'm traveling and haven't been checking the forum regularly. I'll post a new thread right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.