Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Since Spring has sprung for you folks up North, I thought it would be nice to see some gorgeous imagery that shows or represents Spring springing to life again.

The photographs must be your own work.
  • Be creative and have fun.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • The contest runs for one week, starting NOW!
  • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Reactions: Hughmac

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
IMG_4034.jpg

Reactions: OzBok and malofx

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for indulging me with some wonderful images this week folks.

Has to be done. A beautiful mark of Spring is that brief window when the Cherry Blossoms are out in the trees.

L1003100.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr
Lovely colours and light.

I love the sense of emerging Spring here, with the new growth just popping up like this. Very nice.

Something I would not have expected from you! Lovely light and great detail.

Nice and understated image of new season growth in the forest. Lovely light!

Nice details, colour and love the bee in flight adding to the story.

Springtime
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh
Gorgeous soft light and lovely details as a result!

A lone Sunflower amongst the grass is nice. I'm not sure about the colour and vibrancy of the clouds in this one, they seem a bit overcooked to me. I also wonder if this one may have worked a bit better as a pano crop, drawing the eye to the Sunflower more.

Lovely garden borders of colour here. Looks like a nice place to go for a stroll.

When the lavender begins to flower and the bees have arrived, I know it's springtime.

_DSC3607 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
Really good detail and colour. You nailed the focus on the face of the Bee, hard to do when you are working handheld with a macro lens.

Keswick in the Lake district of the UK
View attachment 700062
Looks like a lovely spot to while away the hours, with a great scenic view. I wish the daffodils were more of a focus here to really tell the 'Spring has sprung' story.

Appearing after hibernation, one of the 'owners' at a great B&B in Felpham, UK
View attachment 700063
Nice details and I like that you got down to their level for this one. Did it really hibernate for the Winter? It doesn't get cold enough here for turtles to hibernate.

Just to keep my hand in .....

Presby4_11280.jpg
Nice flower beds that have come into colour. I like that you included some of the home here, it adds a sense of scale to things.

Now that the pleasantries are over, here comes the subjective judging.

3rd - @Hughmac
2nd - @The Bad Guy
1st - @CmdrLaForge

So, over to you @CmdrLaForge for the next one! Well done!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for indulging me with some wonderful images this week folks.

Lovely colours and light.

I love the sense of emerging Spring here, with the new growth just popping up like this. Very nice.

Something I would not have expected from you! Lovely light and great detail.

Nice and understated image of new season growth in the forest. Lovely light!

Nice details, colour and love the bee in flight adding to the story.

Gorgeous soft light and lovely details as a result!

A lone Sunflower amongst the grass is nice. I'm not sure about the colour and vibrancy of the clouds in this one, they seem a bit overcooked to me. I also wonder if this one may have worked a bit better as a pano crop, drawing the eye to the Sunflower more.

Lovely garden borders of colour here. Looks like a nice place to go for a stroll.

Really good detail and colour. You nailed the focus on the face of the Bee, hard to do when you are working handheld with a macro lens.

Looks like a lovely spot to while away the hours, with a great scenic view. I wish the daffodils were more of a focus here to really tell the 'Spring has sprung' story.

Nice details and I like that you got down to their level for this one. Did it really hibernate for the Winter? It doesn't get cold enough here for turtles to hibernate.

Nice flower beds that have come into colour. I like that you included some of the home here, it adds a sense of scale to things.

Now that the pleasantries are over, here comes the subjective judging.

3rd - @Hughmac
2nd - @The Bad Guy
1st - @CmdrLaForge

So, over to you @CmdrLaForge for the next one! Well done!
Thanks for the feedback Alex.
I spent quite a bit of time following the bees around and shooting over 100 shots. Deleted most of them. Normally I try and nail it with one or two, but for fast moving bees that's not going to work well.

Well done to the winners.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
Really loved seeing the photos this week. Looking forward to next week - as a lurker to the competition I decided it was time to get involved!

And yes, apparently he spends about 5 months a year in his box filled with straw on the patio. I can't remember exactly, but I think he goes in head first, gets comfy and then they put a back on it to it to keep the cold out. Though he is 80+ years old, so it sounds ideal I imagine when you get to his age!

If I'm allowed to pick out one, (though to be honest I thought they were all great photos!), anotherscotsman really nailed my early childhood of spring walks through the garlic filled woods. If anyone hasn't experienced the smell it's quite exceptional!

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Really loved seeing the photos this week. Looking forward to next week - as a lurker to the competition I decided it was time to get involved!

And yes, apparently he spends about 5 months a year in his box filled with straw on the patio. I can't remember exactly, but I think he goes in head first, gets comfy and then they put a back on it to it to keep the cold out. Though he is 80+ years old, so it sounds ideal I imagine when you get to his age!

If I'm allowed to pick out one, (though to be honest I thought they were all great photos!), anotherscotsman really nailed my early childhood of spring walks through the garlic filled woods. If anyone hasn't experienced the smell it's quite exceptional!

Thanks Foogoofish - definitely a characteristic odour...at times overpowering. Once you've taken the plunge it's really good fun. It's not about winning IMHO, it's about making you think make the effort to get out and do something different.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks Foogoofish - definitely a characteristic odour...at times overpowering. Once you've taken the plunge it's really good fun. It's not about winning IMHO, it's about making you think make the effort to get out and do something different.

Agreed. It motivates you to explore more avenues that you wouldn't necessarily do if left to yourself.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.