Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Welcome to this week's photo contest. The theme this week is:

Cityscapes

This should be pretty self-explanitory... a picture of a city :p

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme or the 2nd and 3rd place winner assumes responsibility of judging and choosing the next topic within 24 hours.)

6. Please consider your ability to accept the responsibilities of winning before entering the contest. (i.e.: Judging and choosing the next topic in a timely fashion.)

Good luck! :)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Chicago's Millenium Park has a polished sculpture called "Cloud Gate" It looks like a big chrome kidney bean. This is Chicago's Loop reflected in the bean..

Attachments

• Chicago in Bean-1.JPG
    Chicago in Bean-1.JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 190

ptklenk

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
Conway, NH
Prudential Building

Prudential building taken from the Boston Museum of Science.

Attachments

• Prudential.jpg
    Prudential.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 160

herkyjerky

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
Minneapolis, MN over Lake Calhoun

Minneapolis

Attachments

• Mpls10x20.jpg
    Mpls10x20.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 172

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I don't know if we're allowed to post images that weren't taken during the time period, I've seen other people do it before, but I personally don't like it. Mainly I'm just posting this because this thread is sinking to the next page (despite it being a good topic)! I don't really care if it's eligible or not.

I took this photo during the Olympics before BC Place's roof was taken down. I'm really glad I took it because it's my only photo from this location with the old roof. Can't wait for the new BC Place, but obviously our the skyline will be changed quite a bit.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I don't know if we're allowed to post images that weren't taken during the time period, I've seen other people do it before, but I personally don't like it. Mainly I'm just posting this because this thread is sinking to the next page (despite it being a good topic)! I don't really care if it's eligible or not.

All my entries were captured previously. Plus there is no rule stating that is has to be captured during a specified time period.

EDIT: My entry for this weeks challenge. Long Beach about a year ago.

Exif Info:
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 100

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Non-traditional

Well, where I live its classified as a "city". -17C at night in the dead of Winter, exposure for 10 minutes give or take to get the star trails. I am standing on a frozen lake, i might add, not concrete :D

Click to see it better (MUCH better)....

Attachments

• trails.jpg
    trails.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 183

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
All my entries were captured previously. Plus there is no rule stating that is has to be captured during a specified time period.

This is my understanding also. I think the fortnightly challenge is designed to be a challenge to take a photo of the desired subject within the time period. The weekly content has no such requirements.

BTW, keep the photos coming. I'm surprised there's not a lot more. I know I've seen plenty of great cityscapes posted in this forum over the last several months.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It's a few years old now, but here's one of the best cityscapes I have taken, surprisingly it was among the earliest DSLR photos I have taken as well. Just goes to show that sometimes just being in the right place at the right time is 90% of the challenge. I would like to go back one day and re-take a shot like this, using the expanded technical knowledge I have gained since.

Gasworks_Park_13.jpg

Ruahrc

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC

This is a semi HDR shot composited from shots taken from the same vantage point in downtown Raleigh, NC over a period of a few days. The series of images were used in a final project for my fundamentals design class. A mockup of the final design can be seen here: http://accipitergallery.com/slice/

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Not sure of my chances of winning now I've seen some other great images, but this is still my favourite picture of my favourite (and home) city in the world; London.

4672623036_65d24a0983.jpg

Attachments

• 4672623036_65d24a0983_b.jpg
    4672623036_65d24a0983_b.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 153

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Don't really shoot cityscapes but this is the closest I have.

Attachments

• Eiffelstreet.jpg
    Eiffelstreet.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 163

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Ok, the contest is now closed and I guess I'm forced to try and pick a winner! Tough job!

Let me start by saying that all photos were great. All of them are shots of some fantastic places, some are incredibly artistic, and some really capture their subject city perfectly.

Here are my favourites...

I love this shot... where were you when you took this? My only nit-pick is that the tower itself is a bit over-exposed and it's not as sharp as it could be.

This is perfectly exposed, artistic (the gull really adds to the photo IMHO), and simply a beautiful shot.

This is a stunning cityscape shot... the lighting and time of day is just beautiful. My only desire was that the railing wasn't there.

This is a stunning photo of an exotic location (at least in my mind). My only concern is that the color cast is perhaps a bit exaggerated? Although it's hard to know not having been there.

Others: If you want some feedback, let me know, I'd be happy to comment, although, as I say, they are all great shots!

This weeks winner:

Again, it's really difficult to declare a winner from all of these great submissions, but I keep coming back to NathanCH's photo, so I'm going to have to declare him winner this week. Congratulations and a special thanks to everyone for submitting such fantastic photos this week!

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Cheers everyone! I did not expect to win among the other great submissions. Now the real challenge... coming up with a topic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.