Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Presha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Double Down
This week's Photo challenge is Patriotism!

I would like you to capture the emotions, pride or spirit of this country and/ or the country you currently reside in; this can be of people, places, things or an event.

Photos will be judged in combination of but not limited to: subject matter and artistic expression...soo Please have fun!

Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time stamp)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last weeks winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme or the 2nd and 3rd place winner assumes responsibility of judging and choosing the next topic within 24 hours.)

6. Please consider your ability to accept the responsibilities of winning before entering the contest. (i.e.: Judging and choosing the next topic in a timely fashion.)

Presha

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For France
244381876_936e3ed225_b.jpg

Camera: Casio EX-Z750
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 7.9 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Because I am judging this week's contest, and I can't vote for myself, I don't it is appropriate for me to enter a photo.

I don't believe telecomm wanted you to post a photo –*only to clarify what you meant by "this" country. Are you referring to your specific country, or more likely, the poster's country?

Presha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Double Down
–*only to clarify what you meant by "this" country. Are you referring to your specific country, or more likely, the poster's country?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that over site. I have corrected the original post to include the country you currently reside in.:)

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
The sound of freedom. US Navy Blue Angels (clickable for larger version)

Attachments

• _7000842 - Version 2.jpg
    _7000842 - Version 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 216

Presha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Double Down
Thanks everyone for your entries in this weeks contest: Patriotism
I've enjoyed viewing and judging each photo!

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion and not one of professional. Each submission has been awesome and I look forward to the next contest!

So without further delay, here are the results!

macrumormonger: You Have a spectacular shot here! I love architecture of this nature, it speaks to the imagination and creativity of the human mind. I think the colors could have been a little more vibrant and the light and contrast balanced a bit more. Never the less, Awesome shot!

Waffles: What can I say? You have here what is the iconic symbolism of the United states, The American flag and ( I think) the Brook land bridge. This shot is well balanced and the glowing colors are excellent!

flosser: Your Picture is incredible! The light, color and the perfect balance between the water and sky is spot on! You, my friend, have a great talent! The picture really captures your eye draws one into the scenery. As you stated in your title, AWESOMENESS! and I can't agree more, well done! Thanks for the enlargement.

deep diver: Don't know how you came upon this shot but, it's great! The metal frame and blue sky, in the background, gives this shot a 3 dimensional look, as if the flag is floating in mid-air. Cool shot!

CK Williams: This shot speaks volumes! You've captured a very difficult shot (as for timing). The black and white really shows detail in the smoke trails and highlights the main subjects; The Blue Angels...spectacular!

Barry J: I really enjoyed looking over your picture! For me, It shows a side of Canada you just don't get to see on a regular basis. There are a lot of things going on here but, that's why I like this photo. The flag, blowing in the wind, signifies (at least to me) the strength and pride of the Canadians. Thank You!

This Brings us to our final three:

3rd Place- JJDavis: Your entry is one of heartfelt pride for all men and women who serve in militaries around the world. When I see pictures such as these, my mind starts to wonder about untold stories on the battlefield, surviving the wars as P.O.Ws' and being able to share that with those that served beside you. To them we salute! Greta capture of expressions and emotions in the shot. color and sharpness are excellent!

2nd Place-VirtualRain: Your entry really held my feet to the fire (for first place). I like everything about this photo. The ambiance really sets the mood. I like that it beckons for one to come explore what Canada has to offer. The mitts and statue adds a mystic quality to the scene. it's very tranquil and inviting. Great job!

1st Place- Luminosity: Your shot, without a doubt, speaks for its' self! First of all, the black and white color, along with the film grain, is absolutely fabulous! When I first saw this picture, it blew me away! Why?; because It tells a story. The little girl's eyes and her expression are just awesome! Secondly, the depth of field from front to back is phenomenal! It gives you just enough detail in the foreground without being distracting. Third, the main element of the theme ( the flag) is tact sharp and the stars and stripes really stand out. I like the over all scene of the little girl peeking out from behind her mom and the little brother lying in the mother's lap ridding a bus or shuttle to an event or rally, just aww inspiring! Way to go luminosity! So as it goes, you have the task of choosing next weeks' contest :D

And that folks, concludes this week's photo contest! All entries were great and great work everyone! Again, thank you all for your participation, I really enjoy these contests because we all get to learn from them in a very positive way.

Presha

Presha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Double Down
wait a minute, 22nd still not over. missed it.

OOPS! Sorry munkees, you are correct. Guess I got too excited and gotten ahead of myself here, I certainly didn't won't to leave anyone out. Unfortunately I've judged the contest and think it would be best to leave as is. But save that photo you had in mind, I'm sure it will be useful in future contest...the best to you!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The contests run by time stamp, rather than the actual date.

I am very honored by the selection! Thank you very much :). There were some nice entries here.

I took that photo on July 4, 2009, while on a local bus. I used my N80+85/1.8 and Delta 400 film. I wonder if I meant to focus on the flag. My N80 has always had trouble maintaining focus with screwdriver glass (rather than AF-S), mainly due to its weak autofocus motor. I've had it sail on me countless times, and that's part of why I got my F5. Having said that, if I didn't mean to focus where I did, it was a fortunate mistake :).

I'll have a new contest up tonight. Always good to see everyone's artwork here and I look forward to the next round.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.