Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Rules (Copied from the first thread)

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. I think that a good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography. I think it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it and a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for starting a new thread containing a new contest and topic which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is POWER.

bootedbear

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
Austin, TX
Twin Power

power.jpg

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

something my sister took with my camrea in turkey ,i was impressed as the camrea's only a 4mb pixel standard canon :)

Attachments

• IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 200

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Greyhounds

B/W film and workprint.

I'm not a fan of dog racing, and can only say for those few who are lucky enough to be adopted after their careers are over, they are the most loveable companions. As runners, their power speaks for itself.

greyhounds.jpg

apearlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Decision pending...

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten that this weekly contest has ended. I'm just swamped right now and will try to render a verdict in the next 24 hours. Sorry for the delay!

Andrew

apearlman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
The winner is PDXFLINT, "Greyhounds"

I really enjoyed all the submissions!

I've chosen PDXFlint's image of the dog race because it's just such an engaging image that I find myself wanting to look at it repeatedly, to examine more detail. I have a few technical gripes... the film grain, a bit low contrast B&W for my tastes, and the distracting (Budweiser) background. But despite these, I'm just amazed at how well you've captured the power of these animals. The motion is (mostly) frozen but there's still an amazing energy here, and I've never really seen a photo like this.

I'll mention some of the high points of the other photos as well, because there were several that are really great. The singer (by Ghostguts) and tiger (Jeremy Gray) are visually arresting in similar ways. I like the tight composition of both, almost uncomfortably close to the point where you can't help but be pulled in. The police cruiser on an otherwise empty suburban street (Nadav) has an eerie stillness and wonderful composition; I love the shadows and how effectively the car stands out as the main subject. The gull in flight (Hello.there) is just a beautiful shot of a graceful creature, perfect exposure of a difficult subject to capture. Valdore's "Cattle Committee" was worth a laugh. How'd you get those cows to pose for you, with an opening in their circle so they all faced you? Regardless, it's a fun image and it works great.

Anyway, those are just one person's opinions, and thanks to all for submitting your photos. PDXFLINT, it's your contest now.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Sorry guys... I've been away and just read this thread. All I've got to say is there were a lot of images that did a fantastic job of portraying the theme of power. I appreciate the nod, and now have to think of a new topic for this week.... hmmm. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.