Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I have a weird setup that is giving me trouble when researching: I have a standing desk upstairs that I’m trying to turn into a multi-use hub for the family with shared input devices.

I have a 4K display and power delivery that goes into an Anker USB-C hub. This hub then plugs into one of four devices at a time: my 14” MBP, my wife’s work PC, or either of my two kid’s M1 iPad Air which has USB-C. Then we can each use it seamlessly and effortlessly at various points in the day, like when I want to stand for a few hours to get out of the basement, when my wife is working from home, or when the kids need to type up something for school in the evening.

I prefer a wireless setup for the accessories, and I prefer the Magic Mouse with the gestures and smooth rubber band scrolling. However it’s a huge PITA to pair the MM to each device every time.

My idea: Get a BT dongle that plugs into the Anker USB-C hub. I pair the keyboard and mouse to the dongle in the hub. Then every time a device plugs in at the desk to get power and use the display, it seamlessly connects through the BT dongle to the KB and mouse.

My first question is that I’m seeing a lot of conflicting stuff online about macOS support for BT dongles and what is compatible. Any recommendations that work? Especially ones that work with the iPad as well. That one seems tricky. PC support seems pretty standard. Although I’m not sure how well the Magic Mouse works on PC.

My second question is will this actually work? Like the dongle is what is paired to the accessories, right? So when a new device plugs into the hub, as long as the dongle is compatible with said device, it should auto connect to the keyboard and mouse, right?

Thanks!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I can only speak for Logitech products. If you pair their devices to their own receiver (Logitech Unifying Receiver or Logi Bolt) it works exactly as you did describe it.
I have a workplace with a USB-C hub with external display, ethernet and a Logitech Unifying Receiver that is paired to a mouse and keyboard.
No matter which Mac or iPad I connect to the USB-C hub, it works as intended.
(Keyboard: Logitech Ergo K860; Mouse: Logitech MX Vertical; and 2nd TV setup with a Logitech K400+)

Without having tested it: I can't imagine a generic USB Bluetooth receiver works the same. At least not as easily as I'm pretty certain the device has to be registered in the OS / individual device.

edit: I just tested my external USB Bluetooth receiver and it is not detected by iPadOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: macduke

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I can only speak for Logitech products. If you pair their devices to their own receiver (Logitech Unifying Receiver or Logi Bolt) it works exactly as you did describe it.
I have a workplace with a USB-C hub with external display, ethernet and a Logitech Unifying Receiver that is paired to a mouse and keyboard.
No matter which Mac or iPad I connect to the USB-C hub, it works as intended.
(Keyboard: Logitech Ergo K860; Mouse: Logitech MX Vertical; and TV setup with a Logitech K400+)

Without having tested it: I can't imagine a generic USB Bluetooth receiver works the same. I'm pretty certain the device has to be registered in the OS / individual device.
This was my backup choice, I tested a crappy old mouse my wife had as a spare from work with a big wireless dongle and it seemed to just work fine. I was spying some Logitech devices like the MX Anywhere 3S. It says: “Compatible with Logi Bolt USB Receiver only (not included)” so I assume that works like the unifying receiver you described above? Seems proprietary. I had an MX mouse with my MBP back in the day before the Magic Mouse debuted and it was great at the time. If I can’t figure this out I might just get that for the family and bring my Magic Mouse upstairs with me when I want to stand and get some sun out of the basement. They aren’t as particular about mice as I am!

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
so I assume that works like the unifying receiver you described above? Seems proprietary
My 'Unifying' devices (Ergo K860 and MX Vertical) can be paired as usual via Bluetooth and additionally to one or more specific (proprietary 'Unifying') receivers. The devices can store 3 different environments that can be switched with a button.
From my understanding, "Bolt" is simply the (more secure) successor.

Even if you'd get the external Bluetooth receiver to work in iPadOS, I think you'd still experience the same struggle with paring the Magic Mouse each time you switch devices at the hub.

[Although probably not relevant for you, I'd still like to mention the possibility of a wired Magic Trackpad (connected to the hub via Lightning to USB-C).]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.