Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martino_xl1978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Hi fellow Mac users,

Let me explain the problem I’m having as short as possible. I have a mac mini 2012 running headless and serving as a Plex server. I use my Macbook Pro late 2015 to gain access to the mac mini using Screen Sharing. My new Samsung TV has a native Plex App. So far, so good. Now here comes the weird part.

Whenever I start up my TV and Plex App, all my content shows. I can select everything (movies, tv show) and they will all start up. For a short while that is, because after a few minutes Plex starts to buffer. And it will continue to do so if I don’t intervene.

If I use my Macbook Pro to look at my Mac mini, the problem goes away. I can see the last few minutes of my (Intel i5) processor use (Activity monitor is constantly running) and it’s at 100%, which I think is causing the buffering. But, as soon as I use screen sharing, the load drops to like 30% and the buffering stops. From then on I can stream everything up to 4K content without any problems, the Mac mini doesn’t even break a sweat.

At first I saw the softwareupdated process running at 50% - 80% every time I screen shared with my mac mini, which would stop the minute I looked at my Mac mini using Screen Sharing, resolving the buffering problem. So I cancelled all the automatic updates on my Mac mini (App store and iTunes). The softwareupdated problem has gone (I think), but he main problem remains.

In Short, It looks like my Mac Mini processor goes in some kind of a dormant state, until I use Screen Sharing to look at it.

For the record:

1. I’ve shut down al energy saving / auto shutdown options, the mac mini runs 24/7.
  2. My 1 Gbit Lan works at full speed. At first I thought my NAS was the problem, so I ruled that out by putting some of the media content locally on my Mac Mini’s fusion drive.
  3. The Mac Mini doesn't lock, so I'm always logged on.
  4. I’m not a Mac OS pro user, but since having a Mac Book pro I’m learning fast. My computer skills in general are a little above average.
  5. Mac Mini is running Sierra High, as does my Macbook Pro
  6. My native language isn't English....(guess you figured that out by now ;-) )

So, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Until then, I’ll be using the Macbook Pro Screen Sharing workaround trick…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.