Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Got a dust problem on my sensor.

I was trying to clean it with a simple blower (don't have a brush of any sort), but I couldn't seem to clean it off. After cleaning, I attached my macro lens and set it to f/20 and took a photo to see if dust was still there.

Anyway, I took a photo and saw a lot of spots at the top right corner of the frame. I took off the lens, used the mirror lock-up, and tried again.

I took another photo at f/20, and still got dust at the top right corner. Looking at the sensor, it doesn't seem like there's anything to clean, although dust can be smaller than I can see. Anyway, I tried flipping the camera upside-down, and took another photo of the same object. Instead of the dust appearing at the bottom-left of the new photo, it still appeared on the top-right!!! That's weird, because I flipped the camera upside down. The dust I saw at the top-right corner of the frame should then be at the bottom-left corner of the 2nd photo.

When I flip the camera upside-down, the lens is upside-down as well, so I don't think it's dust in the lens.

Soooooo.....what's going on? :confused:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm zooming into the photo all the way and looking at it on my camera's LCD.

Dust in the viewfinder wouldn't show up in my photos. Also, dust on the LCD (external or otherwise) wouldn't look like little dark specks like this.

Most of the photos I took are OK. The biggest problem is the top-right corner. which always has heaps of dust regardless of whether my camera is upside down or not. The dust doesn't go to the bottom-left corner of the image when I take a photo with the camera upside down. It's not my camera's LCD screen because when I zoom into the center of the frame, it's clean.

I don't think it shows up in general photography. However, it's bound to show up in every macro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.