Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Since updating to IOS12, on my iPad Air, weird icon appears on top right corner on lock screen.

IMG_5268.JPG

EX1127

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2009
Louisiana
I know on the XS that type of icon shows up when you use a location service... It might be something along that line. Try tapping it?
[doublepost=1538576295][/doublepost]Actually after watching the video it might be because you have no sim card?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You don't have a sim in the iPad and that's where the cellular network icon goes. Go to Settings and put the iPad in airplane mode. I bet that fixes it.

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
You don't have a sim in the iPad and that's where the cellular network icon goes. Go to Settings and put the iPad in airplane mode. I bet that fixes it.

Yes, putting it in airplane mode replaces that icon with plane icon.
I just can't understand why apple made this look so ugly!!!

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Definitely a glitch or oversight. Just pulled out my sim card from my phone and only had flat bars no spot. So either its fixed in 12.1 or its an iPad issue that needs to be reported.

I did try to report it, but you have to be developer to do it. So I reported it in official Apple Support Communities, and no one ever replied. :)

Thank you all.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I did try to report it, but you have to be developer to do it. So I reported it in official Apple Support Communities, and no one ever replied. :)
I see no reason to report this to Apple. It's a problem with your iPad only. If you want to you can reinstall iOS 12 and it'll be fixed. Or...just put the iPad in airplane mode.

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
I see no reason to report this to Apple. It's a problem with your iPad only. If you want to you can reinstall iOS 12 and it'll be fixed. Or...just put the iPad in airplane mode.

I did reinstall. It did't fix it. Then I reinstall it again, without restoring it, still didn't fix problem.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That’s surprising. I have a cellular iPad with no service and there is no icon all unless I turn on airplane mode. Confirm your cellular data is also turned off?

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
That’s surprising. I have a cellular iPad with no service and there is no icon all unless I turn on airplane mode. Confirm your cellular data is also turned off?

Can't enable/disable cellular data (all grayed in settings) as there is no sim card in iPad.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Can't enable/disable cellular data (all grayed in settings) as there is no sim card in iPad.
Mine too. All I can think of then is that your installer wasn’t the officially released installer. When iOS 12.1 is released perhaps you can restore from that.

I assume you’ve done the obvious—reboot the iPad?

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Mine too. All I can think of then is that your installer wasn’t the officially released installer. When iOS 12.1 is released perhaps you can restore from that.

I assume you’ve done the obvious—reboot the iPad?

no, no, no, installer was official. I've restored it with itunes, week after was released, and of course I've rebooted device.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
There's no way Apple would ever do that intentionally.

That got to be a glitch.
I'm guessing it's a cue to tell you that you can drag down from there to reveal the control center. I see it on my iPad Pro 10.5" w/no cellular running iOS 12.

After all, you can't reveal it by dragging down from the top center nor top left.

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
I'm guessing it's a cue to tell you that you can drag down from there to reveal the control center. I see it on my iPad Pro 10.5" w/no cellular running iOS 12.

After all, you can't reveal it by dragging down from the top center nor top left.

Wrong....

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Wrong....
Wrong? From the top middle of the screen or the upper left corner when running in an LTR (left to right) language, you can reveal the control center from the lock screen?

It's also present on my iPhone XS Max, in the upper right of the lock screen.

I figured the change in how to invoke control center on iOS 12 vs. iOS 11 was to try to unify the dragging down from the upper left, middle and upper right on phones w/notches like iPhone X and iPads.

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Wrong? From the top middle of the screen or the upper left corner when running in an LTR (left to right) language, you can reveal the control center from the lock screen?

No. It's not "a cue to tell..."
It's a ugly glitch or oversight...

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
No. It's not "a cue to tell..."
It's a ugly glitch or oversight...
Whatever, man. I found https://www.quora.com/What-is-this-...-Started-appearing-after-update-to-iOS-11-2-1 but I don't have an iPhone X w/iOS 11 handy in front of me right now.

One answer was
It’s an affordance to show that you can swipe down there to get Control Center, just like the line at the bottom shows where you swipe up to go to the Home screen.

I suspect people that aren’t seeing this have disabled the line that shows where Home is.
I also found https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8203354 and took a look at https://help.apple.com/iphone/11/. If you expand iPhone X on the right, you'll also see the line in the upper right of the lock screen, so it's not new to iOS 12. Screenshots below from the iOS 11 guide.
ios11-iphonex.png

ios11-iphonex2.png

It's just new to more devices running iOS 12 and not limited to phones w/the notch.

Last edited:

TejmaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Whatever, man. I found https://www.quora.com/What-is-this-...-Started-appearing-after-update-to-iOS-11-2-1 but I don't have an iPhone X w/iOS 11 handy in front of me right now.

One answer was

I also found https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8203354 and took a look at https://help.apple.com/iphone/11/. If you expand iPhone X on the right, you'll also see the line in the upper right of the lock screen, so it's not new to iOS 12. Screenshots below from the iOS 11 guide.
View attachment 793070
View attachment 793071
It's just new to more devices running iOS 12 and not limited to phones w/the notch.

Please, don't junk here... and take a closer look of my video.
You are completely wrong again. It's not about small line under icons... We are talking about huge white elliptical shape that is appearing instead of cellular icon...

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Please, don't junk here... and take a closer look of my video.
You are completely wrong again. It's not about small line under icons... We are talking about huge white elliptical shape that is appearing instead of cellular icon...
Sorry. I thought you were complaining about the line. No idea about the blob.

I don't have an iPad w/cellular to compare with at the moment. I have some at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.