Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curo57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
I having a weird issue on my MacBook air. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else so I figured I'd start a thread to see if anyone else has.

The problem happens waking the computer from sleep. Most of the time it's fine. But sometimes when I wake it from sleep, certain things are unresponsive. For example, none of the function keys for volume control or screen brightness work. Or they work eventually but it could be 5 minutes after I pushed the button. I can browse the web fine, but if I try to watch a video on YouTube (or anywhere else) it will never play. (I normally use Firefox but I've tried Safari and it does it too) If I restart Finder it doesn't fix it. If I try to restart using the Apple Menu, it won't restart.

The only way to get back to normal, that I've found, is to restart it via the 'shutdown' command in Terminal. Everything will then be back to normal for a few days until it happens again.

Any ideas?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I was having this glitch the first few days when i got my m1 Air. I can't remember what i did back then, but probably minor update of MacOS helped me.
Other than that, unresponsiveness was also solved by shutting down. Mine wasn't changing the language when clicking FN button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.