Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulRW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
I have a subtly unique and weird problem with a crucial web-based service not working correctly on three Macs, while performing fine on two other Macs and on PCs.
Before I wipe and start fresh on the 3 Macs, I hope someone might have another idea.

The problem:
We use a big web app service to run our business. Pretty sure the problem is not with the service, as our support there says no one else has this issue, and we only have it on 3 Macs, out of a dozen computers overall.
The problem is an apparently small one, but crippling:
When my boss is logged into her Macs (Apple ID and Mac User accounts) and into her account on the web service, she gets a “data is downloading from the server” message that never goes away, and that prevents access to many crucial functions.
The same issue occurs on her office iMac, home iMac, and MacBook Air.
All the Macs are relatively old (2011) and running either Sierra or High Sierra.
Chrome is up to date. Safari is up to date. All software updates have been installed.

The weirdness:
She does not have the problem when logging into the service while at another Mac — one that she does not use otherwise, one that does not have her Mac or Apple account info and log ins, or her mail. It is also a 2011 iMac running Sierra.
She does not have the problem when accessing the service from a PC.
No other staff member has had the problem.
I don’t have the problem, and I also work from an old iMac running Sierra.

On her Macs, I have tried:
Accessing the site from Chrome and Safari; using incognito windows; deleting cookies and cache.
No effect.
Creating a new User ID on the first problem Mac, not logging into any Mac or iCloud accounts, opening a new Safari window with nothing else running… Same problem.

So the issue does not seem to reside in her accounts — but it may have arisen from them, as it is the common denominator, as it’s only on her Macs that she has this problem, Macs on which she has logged into her iCloud account, Google account, and accessed email.
So it could be a virus or something like that from any of those sources.
But AVG Virus checker found nothing.

Any other ideas of what I could check — apart from wiping the computers and starting fresh?
Maybe some Preference plist file or something else that could be corrupt?
Thanks!
- Paul

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
All the Macs are relatively old (2011) and running either Sierra or High Sierra.
Chrome is up to date. Safari is up to date. All software updates have been installed.

Sorry, this all seems very involved and specific to your app. However, this statement caught my eye. Even though you have completely updated all the software, not sure these old operating systems support the newest browsers. Check your versions of Chrome and Safari, then check to see what the current versions are. This might very well be your issue.

Here's Safari compatibility, couldn't find something similar for Chrome but didn't look very hard

Since this app is so important for you, and none of us know anything about it here, seems like you should be working with the company that provides the app to find a solution. Seems unlikely that it has anything to do with a virus. I'm building a pretty complex web app myself and can tell you that old browsers have a number of compatibility issues with various things.

Reactions: satcomer

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I have a subtly unique and weird problem with a crucial web-based service not working correctly on three Macs, while performing fine on two other Macs and on PCs.
Before I wipe and start fresh on the 3 Macs, I hope someone might have another idea.

The problem:
We use a big web app service to run our business. Pretty sure the problem is not with the service, as our support there says no one else has this issue, and we only have it on 3 Macs, out of a dozen computers overall.
The problem is an apparently small one, but crippling:
When my boss is logged into her Macs (Apple ID and Mac User accounts) and into her account on the web service, she gets a “data is downloading from the server” message that never goes away, and that prevents access to many crucial functions.
The same issue occurs on her office iMac, home iMac, and MacBook Air.

The weirdness:
She does not have the problem when logging into the service while at another Mac — one that she does not use otherwise, one that does not have her Mac or Apple account info and log ins, or her mail. It is also a 2011 iMac running Sierra.
She does not have the problem when accessing the service from a PC.
No other staff member has had the problem.
I don’t have the problem, and I also work from an old iMac running Sierra.

On her Macs, I have tried:
Accessing the site from Chrome and Safari; using incognito windows; deleting cookies and cache.
No effect.
Creating a new User ID on the first problem Mac, not logging into any Mac or iCloud accounts, opening a new Safari window with nothing else running… Same problem.

So the issue does not seem to reside in her accounts — but it may have arisen from them, as it is the common denominator, as it’s only on her Macs that she has this problem, Macs on which she has logged into her iCloud account, Google account, and accessed email.
So it could be a virus or something like that from any of those sources.
But AVG Virus checker found nothing.

Any other ideas of what I could check — apart from wiping the computers and starting fresh?
Maybe some Preference plist file or something else that could be corrupt?
Thanks!
- Paul
Paul, check the iCloud settings on those 3 macs if they are set to automatically sync. Starting from Sierra and onwards, this option is set to sync automatically, so you need to go into the Apple ID and uncheck Optimize Mac Storage. This will stop the Mac from syncing folders, files, email etc onto iCloud.

If the problems still persists, then download both MalwareBytes and BitDefender Scanner.

AVG, while free, is not a particularly good virus scanner. Sierra and High Sierra both had lost support, so whatever updates they had "are not" the latest. The latest updates are for Mojave, until this fall, Catalina and Big Sur. Which means that those Macs are not well protected against any new Web attacks and web malware running Sierra and High Sierra.

Run Malwarebytes first (free for 14 days) and scan the system for Malware. Scan at least 2-3 times until it can not detect anything. And then run BitDefender scanner (it's free) that can scan deep and wide. That will pick up any viruses if those machines have any.

Last edited:

PaulRW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Sorry, this all seems very involved and specific to your app. However, this statement caught my eye. Even though you have completely updated all the software, not sure these old operating systems support the newest browsers. Check your versions of Chrome and Safari, then check to see what the current versions are. This might very well be your issue.

Here's Safari compatibility, couldn't find something similar for Chrome but didn't look very hard

Since this app is so important for you, and none of us know anything about it here, seems like you should be working with the company that provides the app to find a solution. Seems unlikely that it has anything to do with a virus. I'm building a pretty complex web app myself and can tell you that old browsers have a number of compatibility issues with various things.

Thanks for the reply, but ... As I said, the web app works fine on an iMac that is two years older. It works fine on an identical iMac on which she has never logged in with her Apple ID or Google ID.
The common denominator appears to be she has logged in to the problematic computers.
The age of the iMac or the browsers used specifically does not seem to be the issue, as other identical Macs do not yield this problem.

Perhaps I should have asked, "Does anyone know of any issues caused by Apple ID settings that can affect Web or Application performance?"
It might come down to a corrupt plist file or something...

I can reformat these Macs, and we are buying new Macs — but if the issue arises again from some combination of her Apple ID or some other factor...
That is what I am trying to head off.

PaulRW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Paul, check the iCloud settings on those 3 macs if they are set to automatically sync. Starting from Sierra and onwards, this option is set to sync automatically, so you need to go into the Apple ID and uncheck Optimize Mac Storage. This will stop the Mac from syncing folders, files, email etc onto iCloud.

If the problems still persists, then download both MalwareBytes and BitDefender Scanner.

AVG, while free, is not a particularly good virus scanner. Sierra and High Sierra both had lost support, so whatever updates they had "are not" the latest. The latest updates are for Mojave, until this fall, Catalina and Big Sur. Which means that those Macs are not well protected against any new Web attacks and web malware running Sierra and High Sierra.

Run Malwarebytes first (free for 14 days) and scan the system for Malware. Scan at least 2-3 times until it can not detect anything. And then run BitDefender scanner (it's free) that can scan deep and wide. That will pick up any viruses if those machines have any.
Thank you, I will try those suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.