Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I'm not sure if one way is more proper than the other, but do you close your other eye when you're looking through the viewfinder? I find I can see better with my other eye closed, but with it open, i am able to see my surroundings... ie. cars or if some1 is about to walk into my shot...

Oh ya, and i also tend to make a funny face when i close my eye when shooting... my friend was making fun of me the other day... :rolleyes:

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I close it. Helps me focus on what the photo is going to be. I open it for a moment if there's something I need to check, but when I commit to taking the photo it's closed. :)

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
No I shoot with my left eye so my right behind my camera. I like having the awareness that having both eyes open gives.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Yes. I would assume it would be hard to compose a shot otherwise:

nikonself2nn9.jpg

^^My avatar... Eye closed. :)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Most of the time I close my left eye (right eye is glued to the viewfinder). I prefer to keep both eyes open, but it just isn't practical.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I shoot with my right eye and I usually close my other eye to help me focus more on what I see in the viewfinder. However, there are times where I leave my left eye open to help me fully observe a scene with a lot of movement and once I see something that's shot worthy I quickly jump my focus back over to my right eye.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
With cameras, rifles and pistols I close one eye when I'm not thinking about it and keep both open when I'm concentrating more on shooting than on the focus point or sights.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Sometimes if I'm at a concert with people all around me I'll keep the other eye open but usually if its bright then I'll keep it closed.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Most times I am scanning a 180 degree plane for which surfer is going to catch a wave (beach break) so I need the left eye to see what else is going on outside of the frame at all times. If my subject wipes out or misses his wave I need a back-up plan, as I hate to see some shredder throwing twenty feet of spray right after I open my other eye and I've missed the shot.:eek:

For portraits and landscape, etc... I close my left eye while framing the picture.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.