Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrizan4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hi there!

So I've noticed a "smudge" on my 2 weeks old iPhone 7, undamaged, unscratched or anything like that. I've tried to clean it with micro fiber cloth but it just doesn't come off.. I haven't tried any liquid cleaning or anything similar.. I'm just wondering what the hell happened here?

And the weird thing is.. when I clean with the microfiber on that spot.. it cannot be seen anymore.. it's there only when the screen is dirty and full of finger prints o_O

Photo: http://shrani.najdi.si/?2K/ED/tdzw3Sw/20161203184102.jpg

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Looks like a mark on the screen coating. Not really worth worrying about. Ultimately it's going to get marks over time regardless.

mkrizan4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Looks like a mark on the screen coating. Not really worth worrying about. Ultimately it's going to get marks over time regardless.
Yeah but seriously? On a new phone? o_O Anyway to fix the oleophobic coating?

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Yeah but seriously? On a new phone? o_O Anyway to fix the oleophobic coating?
The only way to remove the mark in the coating would be to remove the coating and reapply it yourself. Apple won't replace the phone because it's considered cosmetic which doesn't affect the functionality. As you have already said that you bought the phone 2 weeks ago it's probably no longer an option but if you are still within your return period you could just take the phone back and get a refund presuming it was bought directly from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.