Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigMacer224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2022
Hello, I purchased a new iPhone 13 Pro Max today. When I got home and examined it, I noticed this stain/marking that wouldn't go away upon wiping.

What do you guys think it is? Would you guys return it? I know its probably very minor but I would like to know what you guys think.

It only shows up in certain angles and if its somewhat bright. Wiping it temporarily hides it but it reappears.

IMG_20220123_004607__01.jpg

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
It would bother me, if it bothers you enough send it back/return it and get one you are happy with.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Is it any color but silver? Maybe it's a little imperfection on the coating over the steel. Ask Apple. Did you try polishing with a microfiber cloth right?

bigMacer224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2022
Is it any color but silver? Maybe it's a little imperfection on the coating over the steel. Ask Apple. Did you try polishing with a microfiber cloth right?
It’s the graphite color. And yeah I did wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello, I purchased a new iPhone 13 Pro Max today. When I got home and examined it, I noticed this stain/marking that wouldn't go away upon wiping.

What do you guys think it is? Would you guys return it? I know its probably very minor but I would like to know what you guys think.

It only shows up in certain angles and if its somewhat bright. Wiping it temporarily hides it but it reappears.

View attachment 1948171
I would return it and get another phone.

bigMacer224

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2022
How would you guys go about returning it?

Should I ask for an exchange of the same model?

Would they accept this return because the mark is kind of hard to see so im afraid they may be like “that’s not something we can make an exchange for”

This was purchased at the Apple store btw.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
It’s the graphite color. And yeah I did wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.
it's likely the coating, don't polish it as it will ruin the coatings. Return it and get a new one. Something like this will for sure bug me and not want to keep.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
How would you guys go about returning it?

Should I ask for an exchange of the same model?

Would they accept this return because the mark is kind of hard to see so im afraid they may be like “that’s not something we can make an exchange for”

This was purchased at the Apple store btw.
If they have the same model, then go for an exchange. They will definitely exchange it no questions asked. If they do, you just show them that picture and that you tried wiping it off and it's still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.