Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pieface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Well I thought I'd go outside in my back yard and take a couple off pics with my £50 5.0 mp Camera, lol.

2958596110_c94350c9ac_o.jpg

2957754355_14d1b81d29_o.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well those photos looks okay for a PnS, but like you said, its no DSLR so the flaws in those photos (in terms of picture quality) is the same as other PnS. This is what I really hate and PnS, the photos look flat and it looks grainy even at ISO100.

Pieface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, all my money went on the Macbook, so I have to wait a few months for a DSLR sadly =[

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Well those photos looks okay for a PnS, but like you said, its no DSLR so the flaws in those photos (in terms of picture quality) is the same as other PnS. This is what I really hate and PnS, the photos look flat and it looks grainy even at ISO100.

Don't blame the camera. Parts of it are in focus, just maybe not the "right" parts. The lighting is good. Looks to be a nice overcast day and the color is not bad. If you had put the P&S on a tripod and worked harder on the focus and waited for lulls in the wind it would have turned out much better. Noise is not an issue after to down sample to web resolution.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
There's too much going on in the pictures and focus is off, neither of these issues would be solved by a DSLR. While a fast lens might have gained more subject isolation, there's just too much background and not enough subject- the colors that drew your eyes to the scene made your brain ignore the background- that's a common issue and not camera-related. Keep at it, but look for simpler scenes and adjust the camera angle until you get a good background. Try getting closer to the subject as well if you can get focus close in it'll help isolate the subject.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Don't blame the camera. Parts of it are in focus, just maybe not the "right" parts. The lighting is good. Looks to be a nice overcast day and the color is not bad. If you had put the P&S on a tripod and worked harder on the focus and waited for lulls in the wind it would have turned out much better. Noise is not an issue after to down sample to web resolution.
Well you are correct about the focus, I don't mean the picture I mean the focus of a PnS compared to a DSLR, when I used S.Macro on my PnS, certain part of the picture look excellent, even when zoomed in the picture quality looks better compare to without S.Macro.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Flat light is flat light, even on a Hasselblad digital back.

Pay attention to your framing and in-camera cropping, and wait until later in the day to photograph so you can maybe get some nice directional light on your subject.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Help me learn.

What do you mean by 'flat light' ?

What could have been done to make it not look flat?

Many of my photos have a similar quality.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Help me learn.

What could have been done to make it not look flat?

Many of my photos have a similar quality.

You could only have turned to an area that was receiving better light. Look for that golden glow shortly after dawn and again in the late afternoon. These shots looks as though they were taken in the shade.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Help me learn.

I think he meant "flat" to be taken as "uninteresting". But there is a technical definition of "flat" too. It means a low ratio of key light and fill light. Yes, even outdoors and outside of the studio you have both. Outdoors the key is the sun and the fill is from general reflections and scattering of light in the sky. If you could turn off the fill and measure the exposure and then turn off the key and measure the exposure the light is "flat" is the two are close to the same.

Digital cameras really need flatter light then with film because digital has such a short dynamic range. Reflectors and defusers can help a lot. And they can be cheap too. A few yards of white nylon is a perfect defuser. Turns any sunny day into a nice overcast. White cardboard is a good reflector.

You can do a lot with a Point and Shoot. I'd argue that if the image is going to be shown on the web noise and sharpness are non-issues. Both problems are fixed with you down sample the image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.