Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
So I recently bought a pack of Wemo mini outlet switches because they announced HomeKit support. Well, that was a bit premature as I'm still waiting for the update, but another reason why I was waiting for Wemo is the integration with Ring (which has been promising HomeKit for ages). In the Ring app I see them as a partner and I connected it together, but it only opens the Wemo app when I go to that section. But I'm so confused. How do I get motion at my doorbell or backyard floodlight camera to trigger the Wemo switches? It's so confusing. I don't see those as triggers showing up in the Wemo app either.

I'm kinda new to home automation. Two years ago I bought a Schlage Smart Sense door lock and Ecobee 3 thermostat and those both support HomeKit, but I haven't really connected them to anything else. I consider myself to be fairly technically savvy, but if it's this confusing for someone like me then I have no idea how older users who are generally less tech-savvy have more disposable income to buy this crap are able to figure it out? I understand that IFTTT can do this, but I've read that it's laggy and I couldn't find a solution to this problem after a fair bit of searching online, which I thought was strange. Maybe I was being too specific or there just aren't many people who do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.