Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have an old cassete tape of a dearly departed family member talking about our family ancestry. I still plays well, has a little hiss on it and not as clear as it once was. I am no audio guy but was wondering is there an Mac app out there that would I allow me to digitize it and clean up the audio?

I played with garage band but not sure how to use it properly. I now have a digital copy of it with GarageBand not sure what to do next.

Joe

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I think you have some options. Audacity and GB, which are free. Both have a bit of a learning curve. And for-pay apps, which may be designed specifically for what you're trying to do, like SoundSoap Solo or Toast.
Without hearing it, I think what you're trying to do is "noise removal" or "noise reduction" or "hiss reduction". As well, you may want to use the EQ capabilities to boost the audio frequencies for the spoken word, starting about 400Hz to about 5KHz. This will vary by male or female, among other factors. In all likelihood, the audio range is not very broad, given the technology.

Expect to spend a little time learning the basics of any of these programs. They are quite capable, but there are a lot of controls.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think you have some options. Audacity and GB, which are free. Both have a bit of a learning curve. And for-pay apps, which may be designed specifically for what you're trying to do, like SoundSoap Solo or Toast.
Without hearing it, I think what you're trying to do is "noise removal" or "noise reduction" or "hiss reduction". As well, you may want to use the EQ capabilities to boost the audio frequencies for the spoken word, starting about 400Hz to about 5KHz. This will vary by male or female, among other factors. In all likelihood, the audio range is not very broad, given the technology.

Expect to spend a little time learning the basics of any of these programs. They are quite capable, but there are a lot of controls.
Thank You I would like to use something more designed for I want. It probably the one time I would need it. I will look into SoundSoap and Toast

Joe

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
It probably the one time I would need it.
You may want to call a sound studio in your area. The cost for this may be very close to what you pay for the software, and they will do an exceptional job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.