Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which of these would you be MOST interested in seeing Apple-Branded versions of?

• Display

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mouse and/or Keyboard - wired/wireless (explain how this would be different from current offerings)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • External speakers and/or other output devices that produce sound - wired/wireless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard drive, hard drive enclosure, and/or network attached storage devices

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • External GPU enclosure and/or actual external GPU

• Cover, Case, Stand, Screen protector, and/or Other cosmetic accessory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thunderbolt 3 dock and/or USB-C dock/hub

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Cables (explain how this would be different from current offerings)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Printer and/or scanner

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other - Please specify

• Total voters

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
I am curious what accessories/peripherals people are most interested in seeing *Apple-Branded* options for (in regards to the Mac.)

*In this case, Apple-Branded means a product that is sold by Apple with the Apple logo directly on it, sold as a product where all warranty service/work interaction is with Apple directly (instead of through interaction with the third-party Maker, if there is one.) Such a product may be manufactured in full by Apple, or may be manufactured in part or in full by a third party Maker building to Apple's design specification: regardless of which is the case, Apple would be the one providing both the software/firmware support and customer support.

So, for example, if you purchased an Apple External PCIe-NVME Solid State Hard Drive and an Apple USB-C Monitor with a built-in USB hub, even though the hard drive might be made by Western Digital, and the LCD may be made by Samsung, if you had a problem with the hard drive not connecting to your MacBook Pro when plugged into a USB port on the monitor, you would take the hard drive and the display to an Apple Store to get service at the Genius Bar, or call AppleCare, instead of contacting Western Digital and/or Samsung directly, and an Apple Representative would have the training to provide troubleshooting & could authorize warranty repair/replacement. If a product was repaired or replaced, you would ship it to Apple and/or Apple would ship it to you.

So, what would you like to see, and why?

--------------------------------

I would like to see an Apple-branded mechanical keyboard in a finish that matches the current MacBook Pro using the standard Apple keyboard layout, because current options are quite limited, and I find that a mechanical keyboard can improve my overall User experience.

I would also like to see a wider selection of Apple-branded USB-C cables with USB-IF certification.

An Apple-branded hub would also be loved by me, especially with the limited availability of certain hubs.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
So I went with:

1) External GPU - This just fits so well in Apple Laptop's design philosophy it would be really great to be able to take a 13" MBP and have the amazing portability but be able to dock it and get whatever GPU performance you need. This also just expands the capability of apple products so much so I'd like to see it. Also cool if the same external GPU could be used with the modular Mac Pro or the MacBook pro.

2) Display - I went with what would have the biggest impact in my user experience, I would love to have a Apple display that works well and looks great and they would support with updates like the volume issue on the current 5k's.

3) Touch Bar Keyboard and magic mouse with the charging port orientation fixed - The touch bar needs to be available across the platform for it to get a lot of development so this is something I think Apple needs to do. I actually want to get a magic mouse for travel but that charging port being on the bottom does annoy the hell out of me. So I think they refresh the keyboard to use the touch bar and waiting to see if they also update the mouse.

4) Printer - This one honestly intrigues me the most because I'm getting into photography. Something more capable than your run of the mill inkjet with great user experience and integrated with all of your devices. I know they wouldn't because printers are probably fadi but this really jumped out at me as something I think would be really cool.

5) Thunderbolt 3 Dock - This isn't huge on my list just because I just hide the dock and cords anyway and forget about it. As long as I can just plug in one cable I really don't think an Apple dock would give me that much more functionality so you've already reached the point of diminishing returns at that point. So it would probably be nice to see them come out with one but I wouldn't have a huge priority for it.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Good luck at Apple releasing Macs in a timely fashion in the future.

Peripherals?
Furgeddaboutit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.