Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synchro__

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I'm researching for buying my first iPad. My expectation is that this new iPad will be with me for many years to come and, of course, I'd appreciate having support for apps (AKA pro apps) and new features in the next years (maybe not all of them, but the most important ones or sure).

I found a sale of the iPad Pro 11 2020 128GB for 674 EUR and I'm wondering if I would lose too much by saving 200+ EUR right now.

I'm new to the iPad world, and I've been reading a lot about about how powerful the iPads are and how iPadOS is the bottleneck at this moment.

If this is true, and given M1 and A12z are the same architecture, would be reasonable to think that most (if not all) the features in the next 2 or 3 years will come to both iPad Pro 2021 and iPad Pro 2020? Or do you think there is a real chance that Apple starts releasing features and apps exclusively for the M1?

Reactions: blkjedi954

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Eventually, M1 will be the minimum hardware for some future iOS. That is inevitable. However, the A12 machines are not exactly slow.
Buy as much computer as you can at the time. There is always something faster/newer/better around the corner.
But in this comparison, the M1 will likely stay relevant longer than the 2020 iPad Pro.

Reactions: Jake3231

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm new to the iPad world, and I've been reading a lot about about how powerful the iPads are and how iPadOS is the bottleneck at this moment.
Given this is your first venture into the iPad world… I would recommend going with that particular sale or the latest iPad Air. I know you mention support for pro apps, but as of now.. what apps do you use? I mean, I understand the concept of future proofing. But I personally wouldn’t jump in head first without taking steps to ensure if that’s what you really want.

But as for as your question… will there be exclusive features that take advantage of the M1 chip in the near future? I highly doubt it. But there will be cases where apps run more efficiently on the M1 chip.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I'm researching for buying my first iPad. My expectation is that this new iPad will be with me for many years to come and, of course, I'd appreciate having support for apps (AKA pro apps) and new features in the next years (maybe not all of them, but the most important ones or sure).

I found a sale of the iPad Pro 11 2020 128GB for 674 EUR and I'm wondering if I would lose too much by saving 200+ EUR right now.

If this is true, and given M1 and A12z are the same architecture, would be reasonable to think that most (if not all) the features in the next 2 or 3 years will come to both iPad Pro 2021 and iPad Pro 2020? Or do you think there is a real chance that Apple starts releasing features and apps exclusively for the M1?
I won’t be satisfied until Apple takes my patent submission seriously for an RGB, Apple Pencil with Haptic feedback seriously. Oh and FYI a 2500 Zone 12.9” Inch 120hz Display is already an Exclusive feature.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
The chances is slim to none. I seriously doubt Apple will release something that makes most iPads out there obsolete.
Yes it’s called an OLED Display 14” MacBook Pro. XDR has 2500 Zones, OLED has 4,000,000 Zones on a per pixels level.

Jake3231

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2021
It depends on exactly what you mean by exclusive features. I think that any iPad Pro (especially from 2018+) will be able to handle most apps and iPadOS updates for many years to come. I would expect that the A12X/Z will have enough power to run almost any apps available on the App Store for a while, though they may not support the cutting edge silicon features that enable some new bells and whistles in iPadOS down the line. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple unveils some exclusive feature for the M1 iPad Pros, though I am sure that it'll be some very intensive or use-case-specific feature.

Reactions: barbu and LFC2020

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There are no exclusive features on M1, except for maybe the Thunderbolt 4 controller.

It's fast because it has a quick and massive L1 cache along with more cores and a 10W envelope.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
2020 iPad Pro owner here and I'd go with the 2021 M1 model if you can swing the price. Apple will certainly provide updates to to the 2020 Pro for some time, but the M1 is obviously much more future proof.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
As other’s have said, iPad Pro’s (since 2018) are generally still beasts of machines that havent even been taken full advantage of yet. Heck i still have the original 9.7 iPad Pro and even that run’s circles around most tasks i throw at it. My 2018 12.9“ pro still feels new. I’d expect at least another five years of iPadOS updates out of it.

The only potential thing i could see as a bottle neck is if certain app’s start requiring the M1. But even photoshop doesn’t seem to need a huge increase in performance as it stands.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

It's a matter of when, not what.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
M1 is just a different name convention and shares the same architecture as A12 etc. In short, iPad will continue to be an iPad for years to come since it‘ll be using the same crippled iPadOS regardless of having M1, M20 or A12.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think the chance is very high. But not for apps. There will be no pro app exclusive to M1, it's not in the interest of Apple.
But iPadOS exclusive features? Absolutely.
An example? Features linked to external monitor support. It could go from a desktop mode, with multitasking possible both on the tablet AND on the monitor, to full MacOS on the external monitor.
If it's the second, I would see how 4GB devices could get support for multitasking on 2 displays (tablet + monitor), but only M1 would run MacOS on the external monitor.
This would solve the touch optimization issue. But knowing Apple they might cripple it by only allowing Mac Store apps...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
>>with multitasking possible both on the tablet AND on the monitor, to full MacOS on the external monitor

I don’t think this part is very likely but we can always hope for the best.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
M1 is just a different name convention and shares the same architecture as A12 etc. In short, iPad will continue to be an iPad for years to come since it‘ll be using the same crippled iPadOS regardless of having M1, M20 or A12.
Jumping the gun aren’t you? Apple wouldn’t of put 16gb ram in a iPad, if pro apps weren’t arriving at WWDC.

Reactions: blkjedi954

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Jumping the gun aren’t you? Apple wouldn’t of put 16gb ram in a iPad, if pro apps weren’t arriving at WWDC.
Not that anyone has any way to be sure of anything Apple has planned... but wouldn't it make sense from a business perspective to put 16gb of RAM into an iPad if it convinced consumers into spending several hundred more than they would if they just purchased the 8gb models?

Apple makes money, lots of it. Making money is what they do best. Making great products is what they do second.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Not that anyone has any way to be sure of anything Apple has planned... but wouldn't it make sense from a business perspective to put 16gb of RAM into an iPad if it convinced consumers into spending several hundred more than they would if they just purchased the 8gb models?

Nope, most people will be buying the 128gb model, that 16gb ram is there for a reason, we’ll find out soon once WWDC arrives 😅

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.