Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Market_Shifter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Been waiting for the new redesign IMac to come out later this year or early next year and looking for some speakers for it now. The speakers im not looking for anything super loud or expensive and had my eyes on the Razor Nommo Chroma 2.0 but im hesitant on the purchase due to the only connectivity being a 3.5mm jack.

I know the 2019 IMac has the jack but with the Iphone going through jack changes over the last couple years im wondering with the IPAD design they would follow suite and do away with the 3.5mm jack altogether. Would love to hear some feed back on what you guys might think whether or not the new redesign will have the 3.5mm jack or not.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Not unless they are looking for a slimmer design than what they currently have.

I doubt they'll remove the 3.5mm headphone jack at all. I won't be surprised if the SD card reader is gone, it's pretty outdated imo, but the 3.5mm jack is still very relevant to desktops.

Market_Shifter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
That what i was thinking but then again Apple will throw a curveball that will annoy everyone at first then we all realize how much better it is.

The beauty of Apple.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hope not, I used an isolation transformer to patch the iMac into my home theater system for great music playback from iTunes.

Although I have nothing that fancy. I've been doing that with my stereo receiver and tower speakers since my IIvx.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The chances are slim, in my opinion. Unlike phones and tablets, AIOs (especially 27" and larger) don't need to scrounge for space. Where a headphone jack takes up a significant chunk of phone enclosures, it's barely even noticeable in an AIO. Even the most tightly packed iMac models have empty unused space in them.

This is doubly true if they're pulling the "unapologetically thick slab" design aesthetic from the Pro Display XDR and applying to the iMac redesign — in that situation, the iMac's case would lose its taper, instead making it as thick as it is at its midpoint across its entire width and height. It'd be a lot like an aluminum version of the original 20" iMac G5, minus bezels, chin, and optical drive.

Reactions: Market_Shifter

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Totally useless. So much better with an external DAC/AMP. Wouldn’t care if not present. Check out https://schiit.com/ for high quality audio playback hardware. hard to beat for the price.
And you better with Sennheiser. These gaming headsets/things are never really good.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I sure as hell hope not. I don't want to have to get another USB device just to have an audio output.

Right now I have TOSlink from my iMac to my sound system in my office and I love it. You will never beat the low latency of on-board audio devices.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I sure as hell hope not. I don't want to have to get another USB device just to have an audio output.

Right now I have TOSlink from my iMac to my sound system in my office and I love it. You will never beat the low latency of on-board audio devices.
I don’t think low latency is crucial for audio ’’playback’’.

But fiber optic to the amp is sure a great thing. It generally has a lot better DAC than what’s built into computers. The idea to have DAC outside the computer is still here. It’s not the Mac that processes audio, it’s the integrated AMP/receiver.

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Unlikely. On the iPhone, a 3.5mm hole caused issues with structural integrity - the metal surrounding it was too thin. I don't see that as an issue iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.