Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Not looking for a list of tutorials (unless you feel so generous), but rather a list of what the most essential tools a PS noob should know how to use. Other than the basics like exposure/white balance/saturation adjustments/etc, what skills or tools do you find invaluable? What do you find yourself going back to most?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I assume you're speaking about Photoshop, right?
For me if I open up a RAW file outside of Aperture then using Camera Raw is important. With that comes masking. Using a mask to tackle issues with color and exposure that do not plague the entire image is key.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I assume you're speaking about Photoshop, right?
For me if I open up a RAW file outside of Aperture then using Camera Raw is important. With that comes masking. Using a mask to tackle issues with color and exposure that do not plague the entire image is key.

Yes, Photoshop.

Good one. Layer masks are the 1 "advanced" tool I've been playing around with and certainly helpful.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Deft use of the tone curve is probably one of the most important skills to have I think.

Sharpening can also be a non-trivial exercise especially if you intend to print your images.

Although, I think it's better if you approach it in the manner of knowing what you want the final image to look like, and knowing which controls you need to manipulate to achieve that. I think this also applies to any software not just PS.

Ruahrc

NSX

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
If you are new to photography??? i would try Aperture because of its simplicity and you can do so much with it, very easy to use

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Not looking for a list of tutorials (unless you feel so generous), but rather a list of what the most essential tools a PS noob should know how to use. Other than the basics like exposure/white balance/saturation adjustments/etc, what skills or tools do you find invaluable? What do you find yourself going back to most?

Go to Amazon and get a decent book like Martin Evening's book or the "Photoshop Studio Techniques" (misleading title, but probably the best intro into Photoshop).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.