Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Every time I get a notification from Calendar, it asks me if I want to keep time sensitive notifications on or if I want to turn them off. I always press "keep on" but then it asks me again next time anyway. What is this and how can I tell it to just leave me alone? I want notifications to appear when they are scheduled to appear. So if I have a notification set to notify me 2 hours before an event, it should notify me 2 hours before the event. I don't know how time sensitive that is, but that's how it makes sense to me. How do I tell it to keep doing that without it having to ask me about it each time?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
According to Apple, "Time Sensitive" are notifications that will be delivered asap, rather than being chucked into a card of "notifications summary". Apparently being bombarded by random notifications from super-low priority apps annoys enough people that Apple designs the notification so that if they are being delivered regularly or so, Apple would ask you if you want to keep it on or not.
I do agree that keeping asking is annoying though.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yeah, might be a bug. Several threads where folks are experiencing same thing.

That said, I have not been asked about time-sensitive notifications/alerts in a long time. Either getting lucky, or, I'm using Notification Summary and MAYBE that is helping in that system is seeing it as a flag that, yes, the stuff that is showing immediately is the stuff I want to see.

MilaM

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
I'm also asked repeatedly by the same apps regarding time-sensitive notifications. It's really confusing.

So the correct way this should work is that I'm only asked once per app, is that right?

The whole notification system (plus the focus feature) became so complicated, I think you have to go get a degree to use it confidently. I'm not stupid when it comes to IT and software, but what Apple released with iOS 15 is too complicated in my opinion.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
According to Apple, "Time Sensitive" are notifications that will be delivered asap, rather than being chucked into a card of "notifications summary". Apparently being bombarded by random notifications from super-low priority apps annoys enough people that Apple designs the notification so that if they are being delivered regularly or so, Apple would ask you if you want to keep it on or not.
I do agree that keeping asking is annoying though.

Yeah, might be a bug. Several threads where folks are experiencing same thing.

That said, I have not been asked about time-sensitive notifications/alerts in a long time. Either getting lucky, or, I'm using Notification Summary and MAYBE that is helping in that system is seeing it as a flag that, yes, the stuff that is showing immediately is the stuff I want to see.

not a bug, it’s Apple doing it’s true diligence by “asking the user, ask them every time” as per Steve snobs about privacy. Remember notifications by default will show on the Lock Screen and as such fallls in the line of your user privacy since at time your phone may be on a table, although locked where sensitive notifications could be read by anyone that sees the notification on screen even when locked. Sure previews are off by default but NetMD or a woman’s period cycle notification in and of itself is private!

so until you acknowledge an apps notification preference it’ll keep asking you. Either acknowledg the prompt and choose your preference or take a few short minutes to go through al your appp. Otificstion preferences in Settings app 1-time, update any apps that you download right away.
annoyance resolved.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
not a bug, it’s Apple doing it’s true diligence by “asking the user, ask them every time” as per Steve snobs about privacy. Remember notifications by default will show on the Lock Screen and as such fallls in the line of your user privacy since at time your phone may be on a table, although locked where sensitive notifications could be read by anyone that sees the notification on screen even when locked. Sure previews are off by default but NetMD or a woman’s period cycle notification in and of itself is private!

so until you acknowledge an apps notification preference it’ll keep asking you. Either acknowledg the prompt and choose your preference or take a few short minutes to go through al your appp. Otificstion preferences in Settings app 1-time, update any apps that you download right away.
annoyance resolved.
What are you talking about? Every “immediate delivery” has been enabled in settings notification area, and there is no other setting available to see. Preference is already being picked and yet it keeps nagging for “do you still want it? Do you still want it???” Prime example are a bunch of reminders I create to remind me doing stuff throughout the day, and iOS never stop nagging me “do you still want the notification to be delivered immediately or not?” I want it so I enable it and that’s what I want.

I’d argue this is a design flaw that pushes user to choose “scheduled delivery” all the time rather than “time sensitive” if “too many” notifications are being sent from the same app.

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
I seem to live in some alternate universe where I only get notifications that I want, so of course I want them immediately. This prompt seems very silly to me. It keeps asking me every time, for calendar notifications that I myself put there. It's kind of like asking "do you want to be late for a meeting or not?". It's confusing when you don't even realise that apparently there is some "notifications summary" system.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
To add to the misery, if I turn off notifications entirely for the calendar on my 13 mini, I still get these as well as the usual notification. After 14 I would have hoped 15 would be functional. Instead I have at least a dozen issues from handsfree in the car to simple page rendering that are ridiculous considering the assets at Apple's disposal. There's a management issue that needs to be dealt with.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What are you talking about? Every “immediate delivery” has been enabled in settings notification area, and there is no other setting available to see. Preference is already being picked and yet it keeps nagging for “do you still want it? Do you still want it???” Prime example are a bunch of reminders I create to remind me doing stuff throughout the day, and iOS never stop nagging me “do you still want the notification to be delivered immediately or not?” I want it so I enable it and that’s what I want.

I’d argue this is a design flaw that pushes user to choose “scheduled delivery” all the time rather than “time sensitive” if “too many” notifications are being sent from the same app.
You sound upset, at me not sure why.

I’ve done my settings for notifications and only specific notifications once ina. Blue moon that I’ve not acknowledged show up.

Not sure what your notification setup is, but mine work.

You mentioned reminders that’s not for apps unless something you’ve setup that maybe doubling or conflicting ?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To add to the misery, if I turn off notifications entirely for the calendar on my 13 mini, I still get these as well as the usual notification. After 14 I would have hoped 15 would be functional. Instead I have at least a dozen issues from handsfree in the car to simple page rendering that are ridiculous considering the assets at Apple's disposal. There's a management issue that needs to be dealt with.

What app or specific notification is affecting you?

Seems a lot are vague here and nobody giving a specific app or specific notification nor their setup.

I get some are annoyed but as it looks this seems like a venting thread, how does it help anyone without being specific? Most threads are specific for everyone positing and it helps others this way to isolate. Maybe it’s a group of offending apps? Maybe it’s conflicting setup? Let’s help one another here.

MilaM

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one slightly overwhelmed by all the new settings related to notifications in ios 15 :rolleyes:.

Regarding the calendar app notifications. At least my phone stopped asking me if I really want to recieve them. Maybe that's a fix that landed in 15.3.

I found one video on Youtube that explains how the new settings relate to each other and how to use them "properly". Maybe someone finds this useful as well:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.