Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
I just got a Canon Digital Rebel XS EOS 1000D SLR w/ 18-55mm DC and I need a bag for it, but dont know which one is a good one.

I have looked at Lowepro and they are nice. Many have told me that they are they way to go. True?

If not Lowepro what is a great brand to go with?

I will not be carrying anymore than 2 lenses at a time (one on, one off), so i want it to be compact not large.

Thanks guys, anything is helpful!

Apr 10, 2007
I have this
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228609409&sr=8-1

its really cheap, I got it off amazon when it was on sale for $30 but its still a great deal for the price they have right now, they sell that case at best buy and stuff but they charge like $80ish.

I used it with my Rebel XT, macro lens, kit lens, 70-300 lens, some filters, chargers, cables, manuals, my new D90, the D90 kit lens, lens hood, and I even strap my tripod onto it sometimes. Its a awesome case for the price.

Its also made by canon, not some strange off-brand company, if you find a lowpro case you like you can't go wrong, they are some nice cases also.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have the Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW for my Olympus E-400. Extremely compact bag, but fits everything I need:

I keep my 14-54 lens on the camera most of the time, but keep the 14-42 kit lens in the bag as backup.

I can also fit my (rather large) Metz flash in there.

And in the top compartment there's a lot of room for stuff like the charger, a micro fibre cloth, some q-tips (old habit) and extra memory cards...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I've gone the modular route.

I have a LowePro top-loading case similar to this one:

41WM5V32CKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I then attach to its strap a spare lens in a case similar to this one:

51hlMLF%2B4QL._AA280_.jpg

Those little lens cases have a velcro-closing flap on the back than enables the case to attach to the strap of my little camera bag, making the second lens easily accessible. I sometimes also wear a very small backpack and keep another lens and filters and whatnot in there.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I have a Lowepro shoulder bag and have had it for about 5 years now, back when I had an SLR with a modest digital camera :). However there will be a Crumpler Whickey & Cox under the Christmas tree this year thanks to the wife :)

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
we keep digital bodies + a bunch of lenses in a Pelican hard case in the studio like this:

pelican-case.jpg

and we have a couple of crumpler bags like so for traveling:

crumpler_1.jpg

other film cameras are in generic cases.

art gardiner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Cairo, Egypt
I just got a Canon Digital Rebel XS EOS 1000D SLR w/ 18-55mm DC and I need a bag for it, but dont know which one is a good one.

I have looked at Lowepro and they are nice. Many have told me that they are they way to go. True?

If not Lowepro what is a great brand to go with?

I will not be carrying anymore than 2 lenses at a time (one on, one off), so i want it to be compact not large.

Thanks guys, anything is helpful!

From what you have stated, a modular belt system might serve you better. Lowpro, Tamrac, Think Tank and various others make modular belt systems that might fit your needs better than a traditional over the shoulder (OTS) bag.

Depending on how and what you shoot, an OTS bag can be more of a burden than assistance. Most shooters have turned their backs on OTS bags, as the wear and tear on your back increases over time. (Regardless of how much equipment you carry in it.)

Food for thought.

Art

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
From what you have stated, a modular belt system might serve you better. Lowpro, Tamrac, Think Tank and various others make modular belt systems that might fit your needs better than a traditional over the shoulder (OTS) bag.

Depending on how and what you shoot, an OTS bag can be more of a burden than assistance. Most shooters have turned their backs on OTS bags, as the wear and tear on your back increases over time. (Regardless of how much equipment you carry in it.)

Food for thought.

Art

Agreed. The OP sounds like they want to be very modular and have options to increase the size and carrying capacity at a whim.

The Off-Trail is a great bag, and if you are looking for a more journalist friendly option the stealth reporter D100 or 200 and slingshot are nice as well.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
Thanks for all the comments thus far.

to clear things up. I guess i am really just looking for a bag that i can put the camera in when going from spot to spot. I usually take the camera out of the bag, and bring just the camera with me. the bag may stay in the car/room. so im not so sure about the modular. I guess more of a suite case. you use it to carry the stuff til you get there.

I guess i am just wanting a bag that will hold the camera, an additional lens and the charger ( maybe some odds and ends here and there)

the Lowepro posted by Phrasikleia is what i think im looking for, although i want to look into the belt systems.

Im no professional, so i dont want to have a bag thats more than i need. Then i just look stupid!:eek::D haha

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I have this
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228609409&sr=8-1

its really cheap, I got it off amazon when it was on sale for $30 but its still a great deal for the price they have right now, they sell that case at best buy and stuff but they charge like $80ish.

I used it with my Rebel XT, macro lens, kit lens, 70-300 lens, some filters, chargers, cables, manuals, my new D90, the D90 kit lens, lens hood, and I even strap my tripod onto it sometimes. Its a awesome case for the price.

Its also made by canon, not some strange off-brand company, if you find a lowpro case you like you can't go wrong, they are some nice cases also.

I've been looking at that same bag too. I have a small bodyglove bag right now but it only holds the XT, one lens, and the charger + spare battery.

art gardiner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Cairo, Egypt

to clear things up. I guess i am really just looking for a bag that i can put the camera in when going from spot to spot. I usually take the camera out of the bag, and bring just the camera with me. the bag may stay in the car/room. so im not so sure about the modular. I guess more of a suite case. you use it to carry the stuff til you get there.

I guess i am just wanting a bag that will hold the camera, an additional lens and the charger ( maybe some odds and ends here and there)

the Lowepro posted by Phrasikleia is what i think im looking for, although i want to look into the belt systems.

Im no professional, so i dont want to have a bag thats more than i need. Then i just look stupid!:eek::D haha

If you're just looking for something to transport your gear from your home, to your car, to hotel room, etc. - several companies make small roller cases that might fit your needs. That said they are pretty much over $150, and go upwards of $500.

A cheaper alternative might be to just use your current backpack, and wrap your lens, camera in one of the several wraps available:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16160-REG/Domke_722_15R_15_Protective_Wrap_Red_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552265-REG/Tenba_638_281_Messenger_Wrap_22_Black_.html

This technique is a little slicker than the old "Diaper Bag" trick, both serve the same purpose. If you really want to go the OTS route, then Domke F2 or F6 are considered the standard. You can usually pick them up on eBay for a fraction of the cost used. Lowepro Stealth AW's are also a good choice. Both will allow for room to grow if you are working with one camera body and two lens.

My only word of caution; the more a bag will hold, the more you will tend to put in it.

Hope this is helpful.

Art

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
For just going from place to place with my camera and a couple of lenses, I use the LowePro Mini Trekker AW. It can also carry a flash and a tripod and a few other accessories, and luckily, my 12" iBook snugly fits in there too - I don't think any of the current model Apple computers would fit though.

For just walking around with a single all purpose lens, I use the LowePro Topload Zoom 2.

I also have the Topload Zoom 1, but this doesn't fit my EF 24-70mm F2.8 lens so it doesn't get used anymore. But it does fit the 18-55mm lens perfectly (I originally used it with a Digital Rebel and 18-55mm).

Apr 10, 2007
I've been looking at that same bag too. I have a small bodyglove bag right now but it only holds the XT, one lens, and the charger + spare battery.

yea its a cool bag, I think I could fit 6 lenses (2 attached to the bodys), two bodys, and the chargers and batteries.

Its also pretty small considering how much it fits.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Everyone's given really good suggestions so far, so I'll just add the thing NOT to do: Don't get a bag that says "Canon" (or Nikon or Olympus or any other manufacturer name). Basically, you don't want anything that screams "Hi, I'm an expensive camera, please come steal me" - especially if you're planning on occasionally leaving it in your room or car, as you indicated above.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
A few bags......

bagz.jpg

And a few more since. My main bags are my Nova 4 and my Mini Trekker. Though the trekker only comes out when I take my Macbook with me.

The Nova 4 can cram a fair amount in...

bags2.jpg

It does need a new strap though (the metal on wearing out and the spring clips have gone - using a cable tie to keep it in place) and the exterior is start to wear out. I'd get a new version of it, but it looks like a handbag. So may get a stealth reporter or whatever they bring out in the future.

Also have a Lowepro Vertex 200 for times when I'm walking and need to carry a bit of stuff.

Still looking for that perfect walking bag though.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
A cheaper alternative might be to just use your current backpack, and wrap your lens, camera in one of the several wraps available:

[links]

These are great, although I wouldn't rely on them to protect my camera in a backpack with books or something. You can use different colors to color-code your cameras and lenses for fast picks from a pelican (or any other) case, but where you are right now I don't think that applies. The interior of the Teneba wrap also doubles as a neutral gray.

With the pro I work with, if we can't find a body or lens cap, and we have to go, we just toss the body or lens in a teneba wrap, put it in the pelican case, and go.

I have a little Lowepro (don't know the model, sorry), and I'll also suggest them for your bag needs... great company.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I also prefer Lowepro bags, plus their website has a good power search.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I always use Pelican cases for that purpose.

While I'm using the camera I don't use a bag or if I need to caryy some stuff it goes in a "standard" backpack. To keep scratches off lenses in the backpack I use these "wraps". Several companies make them but here is one example:
http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/WP2035/

I've also used those padded sacks that are sold in drug store as "re-usable, insulated lunch bags". They are foam padded nylon with velcro closure and sell for about $10.

But I always use the Pelican cases for storage and transport

Don't get a bag that says "Canon" (or Nikon or Olympus or any other manufacturer name). Basically, you don't want anything that screams "Hi, I'm an expensive camera, please come steal me" - especially if you're planning on occasionally leaving it in your room or car, as you indicated above.

The aabove is a good idea. In fact I'd go farther and make you case look unique. Add some bright graphic. Someone might take a generic black bag/case but they don't take the one that is a standout, that can be ID'd from 200 feet away. I've got some dayglow green stripes on my stuff. Even if some one is not going to steal it it makes the case easy to find when they are unpacking the luggage hold on a bus or whatever

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I am getting myself this baby.

Kata 467. I need something that would house my computer as well - mainly for travel.

Attachments

• kata467montaz1.jpg
    kata467montaz1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 119

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I use both Lowepro and Tamrac, they are great bags and you can get used ones that are like new on ebay for big savings ;).
Both brands are high quality and if you are only carrying two lenses then there are plenty of compact options for you.
Right now when I go on a larger outdoor assignment I use the Tamrac Expedition which is a backpack style (I use the model 7x) and for easy quick stuff or travel I use a Tamrac Zoom Traveler 604

http://www.tamrac.com/

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I have the LowePro CompuTrekker AW. I know it's not the type of bag that the OP necessarily needs, but it does allow me to vouch for the build quality of the LowePro's and the attention to detail that seems to be in the all of their products.

If the OP intends on getting a second body, a few more lenses, flashes etc. and wants to carry their laptop as well, then the CompuTrekker is magnificent.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Does the OP have enough equipment to justify a Pelican? The only ones I've seen are quite large.

If there is one, suggest a model #?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.