Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I have Cannon's software for their digital camera and I don't like the layout. Also its annoying to have three cannon programs, each for minor things like picture stitching/printing/bridge to camera. Is their software that can do all of this? What do you guys use?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I only use the Olympus software to update my camera's firmware. I use Photoshop for most everything else but I don't do panoramic stitching.

L

Lau

Image capture to get the files off my camera, and Photoshop for the rest. I'm not sure I've even installed the software for may camera on the computer, to be honest.

bousozoku's comment makes me think that my camera could be missing some exciting firmware though. Hmmm.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Right now I use iPhoto to import my photos. Then I used Bridge to view them and look at the organization. Any editing, I do in Photoshop.

I think I might soon be cutting iPhoto out of the circle. I'm tired of having extra files floating on my computer that eat up storage space, and plus it doesn't always open the raw version of a photo into Photoshop if I shoot raw+jpg.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
PlaceofDis said:
nope. i don't at least?

Nope - just plug the camera in and iPhoto launches, and then notes how many items are ready for import. When you installed the Canon Software, it would have assigned itself as the default program to open when a camera is connected. The next time you open iPhoto, it will ask you if you want to make it the default, so you can reselect it as the auto-open program at that time.

For iPhoto, you may like it more if you set the background to black (default is white). At least that's become my preference.

I have used iPhoto for organizing, but it's starting to feel "full". I am running '05 and I believe '06 improved on file management. It may be time to go get Aperture anyway - although Lightroom Beta is still free, so perhaps I'll explore the Lightroom / iPhoto combination that Chip mentions below.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hmm...this has me wondering.

Right now I used iPhoto do pull my photos and then if I'm gonna really edit it I use Photoshop. When I get my new machine, I will probably use Aperture...which brings me to this question:

Has anyone come up with a shareware app or script that we run and can pull my RAW files into Aperture and put my JPEG copies into iPhoto at the same time?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Lau said:
Image capture to get the files off my camera, and Photoshop for the rest. I'm not sure I've even installed the software for may camera on the computer, to be honest.

bousozoku's comment makes me think that my camera could be missing some exciting firmware though. Hmmm.

Even my lenses are updated over FireWire.

Do any of you use a card reader instead of connecting the camera straightaway to pull the files into the computer?

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I'm currently using iPhoto for organization and minor edits/slideshows. I plan on making the move to Aperture once I've purchased my iMac Core Duo. I can't imagine pushing this iBook to run Aperture.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Moshiiii said:
I have Cannon's software for their digital camera and I don't like the layout. Also its annoying to have three cannon programs, each for minor things like picture stitching/printing/bridge to camera. Is their software that can do all of this? What do you guys use?

I use Apple's "Image Capture" because it lets me download only some of the images on the memory card. I put these into a folder and give it a name based on the date and subject or location. Next import this folder into iPhoto and do a quick pass, deleting any "junk" and doing minor corrections and crops. Some photos will go through Photoshop.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
bousozoku said:
Even my lenses are updated over FireWire.

Do any of you use a card reader instead of connecting the camera straightaway to pull the files into the computer?

I use a Sandisk card reader. Takes just about any card format made, so it comes in handy since I have two different formats in my cameras, and my sister uses an even different format.

And... it's worth installing the software that came with my Nikon? I never even opened it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm going to check out Lightroom. If I like it, I may buy Aperture. :p

Actually, I'll buy a MacBook first, then I'll look into getting Aperture, but only after Lightroom comes out. I'm thinking "price war." One of them will become cheaper.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I remember that Apple had a 30-day trial of Aperture when it first came out...I do not know if they still offer it anymore but it might be worth it to check it out to see if it will work for you.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I use a Lexar Professional CF card reader to get my images into the computer; I never ever upload directly from camera to computer. I don't have any of Nikon's software on my computers at all. Instead, I open Aperture, which is installed on the iMac and on the MBP, and the images go right into there, which makes it a simple matter for quick reviewing and rating, discarding/deleting the baddies, and then I'm ready to move on to Photoshop CS2 for further image editing.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Abstract said:
....I'll look into getting Aperture, but only after Lightroom comes out. I'm thinking "price war." One of them will become cheaper.

My bet is that Lightroom wiil be included in CS3.

The one to watch is Nikon's "NX". It works best if you have a Nikon camera but is intended to be usfull with other brands of camera too. I'm thinking it will sell for just over $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.