Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Hi all, I am going to get myself a digital camera and have pretty much narrowed it to the canon powershot sd600 and the fuji finepix f20.

Which would you reccomend as there is a 50 dollar price difference I am seeing at the stores around here.

The fuji had a higher iso(up to 1600 i believe) but no optical viewfinder when the canon has a viewfinder.

Also the fuji as a result of the high iso, says to be good to have image stabilization whereas the canon doesn't have this feature.

So those that know alot about cameras, are these big issues? and if so what would you decide to get?

Thanks for any advice

by the way I just want to use this camera as a way to take pictures of my friends and family, maybe some nature shots, and close up stuff would be fun as well. I am definitly not a professional by any means

joelbindi

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2006
In my experience i wouldnt even bother worrying about the ISO. I never use ISO over 400 let alone 1600 coz it makes my images way too grainy. Canon also have a powershot model with image stabilizer btw. (the powershots are pretty amazing for there size too).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
In my experience i wouldnt even bother worrying about the ISO. I never use ISO over 400 let alone 1600 coz it makes my images way too grainy. Canon also have a powershot model with image stabilizer btw. (the powershots are pretty amazing for there size too).

Yea I saw that canon had some of those models with IS but they are a little more than I want to spend unfortuanately

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006

I would.
The Fuji F20 is a direct descendant of the F30, which is known for its class-leading high ISO performance. I know an owner of both, and the F20 is even better than the F30 was.

Fuji's Super-CCD is pretty super.

You probably shouldn't worry much about optical viewfinders- on P&S cameras, particularly those this size, they're cheap, small, and dim.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The F20 does not have aperture and shutter priority modes and the LCD is worse than on the F30, among other things.

Given that you can have the F30 for only $25 more than the F20, the choice between these two is clear.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I would.
The Fuji F20 is a direct descendant of the F30, which is known for its class-leading high ISO performance. I know an owner of both, and the F20 is even better than the F30 was.

Fuji's Super-CCD is pretty super.

You probably shouldn't worry much about optical viewfinders- on P&S cameras, particularly those this size, they're cheap, small, and dim.

The F20 does not have aperture and shutter priority modes and the LCD is worse than on the F30, among other things.

Given that you can have the F30 for only $25 more than the F20, the choice between these two is clear.

I agree that without a doubt, the Fuji are the better buy here. ISO is very important if you want to shoot in low light conditions. The whole point of these two Fuji models is to deliver high ISO without introducing high levels of noise. ISO 800 is excellent on both the Fuji F30 and F20, and even ISO 1600
can produce useable images.

The F30 is better than the F20 however, it has a much nicer LCD (which can be used easily in daylight) and it does have Aperture/Shutter priority modes. I shoot with the F30 when I am not using my D50 and I love it.

Take a look at Hugo's blog here to see some of what the F30 can do in the right hands (most of these images have little pp)... http://hugopoon.blogspot.com/

You will NOT be disappointed with the Fuji. The Canon will let you down for indoor/evening/nightime work although can produce lovely colours during the afternoon.

Hope this helps,
David

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005

sounds good excpet around here the price difference is 100 dollars. Seems like the consensu is the fuji?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I have not had experience with any of those, but a friend of mine raves about his F30 for casual picture taking.

The only time you would need the viewfinder is if you expect to be away from a power source for a long period of time and need to turn off the LCD to save juice. But unless your hiking or camping or something, the viewfinders on P&S cameras are often small and inaccurate anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.