Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
hey i am in the market for a new digital camera... Right now i have a 6 mega pixel Nikon cool shot or some **** like that....but i want a better camera i wanted a camera over 9 megapixals.... what are some recommendations i don't know much about cameras but i will be using it for my space and taking pics of my cars guitars and for family events..any help would be appreciated my budget is 900 bucks...thanks

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I agree with M@.. MP counts are not everything. Why do you think you need 9+MP? If you're thinking of dSLR, you might to take a look at the D40... For the $900 you could get yourself the D40 with kit lens, memory card and perhaps an additional lens. If you want P&S.. $900 is overkill.. Hope my 2 cents helped :)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Don't waste your money, 6 Mp is more than enough for what you want.
As stated by a few others, pixel count is not the only factor in producing quality results. Two other important factors are:

1. A good lens
2. Learn to use the camera correctly. (The Nikon Camera you have, it is more than capable)

I use a 5 Mp Leica camera and regularly produce A3 size prints and have on a few occasions have had A2 prints.

FJ

discodave

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2007
As a compact, you'll want the Fuji F30/F31

As a dSLR, you'll want a Nikon D50 with kit lens.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
TheDance511 - trust us, you do not need to spend almost $1000 for MySpace pictures....

You can get a good P&S (the Nikon you have right now is probably fine actually...) for about $400.

But before you spend any money, have you even attempted to learn how to use the camera you have now?? :confused:

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
What I would want to know is what makes you want a new digital camera? As mentioned, the Nikon you have is pretty nice and certainly more than adequate for family photos and My Space.

Ask yourself what do you want to do that your Nikon is not capable of, then it will be a lot easier for someone to make a recommendation.

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Come to think of it, now that ive actually read what you want to do... does my space even matter lol? You wont be able to put up full resolution?

My advice, invest in a good ol webcam. Youll save yourself a lot of money, and you can by a new guitar, or another computer to um... fix your my space

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.